amino acids...

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
badnights

Re: amino acids...

Post by badnights »

This is fantastic news. I think I will return to using the ghp sport, maybe I can break the capsules into juice or something instead of swallowing 6 whole.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

badnights wrote:This is fantastic news. I think I will return to using the ghp sport, maybe I can break the capsules into juice or something instead of swallowing 6 whole.

They sell it as loose powder, I think it's meant for your pets :lol: but the description said it was the same stuff.

I just got my first shipment of the GHP Sport - Certified instead of the normal stuff. I'm hoping it goes back to working like the good ole days.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

oh and I found a coupon for 10% off sitewide - use code CNC10, expires Sept 30th.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

thanks!
I checked the pet formulation. Too bad, the ingredients are the same but in different quantities. One people dose has about 2.5 times as much of each ingredient, except it has the same amount of glutamine. So if you took 2.5 times the pet dose, you;d get roughly a people dose, except too much glutamine. Given the recent revelations, that's maybe not the ingredient I want to take too much of. (glutamine is used to manufacture glutamate)
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Bummer!
Tracy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I ordered the Western Reserve trial pack. Two nights I've taken them - no question I'm tired when I do - almost like a natural sleeping pill. But, I've had worsened WED within 45 minutes or so both nights. Could be unrelated. Last night I took this first - at 10 PM. By 11 I was have a hard time keeping my eyes open, but I hadn't taken all my meds. It seemed a bit heavier than usual based on how much I'd taken, but I figured it was just that.

Tonight, I made sure I took all the meds but my last 5 mg before this and that I took this an hour before I intended on going to sleep. I took the last 5 mg right after this - I figured both would kick in about the same time. Well, I got sleep, but I also got WED. I've been wiggling and rotating and doing sewing machine legs while I work on the computer. I can't remember when my period is due, so it could be close and my WED worse anyway....but it wasn't worse earlier in the night and I take my drugs as I did tonight most of the time.

I'll try a few more nights...but maybe not ten if this keeps up.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I remember you mentioning that your WED ebbs and flows with your cycle, and I thought of you when I was reading this:
http://www.womensmentalhealth.org/oral-contraceptives-reduce-lamotrigine-lamictal-blood-levels/. It says that estrogen reduced levels of lamotrigine (which I know you're not taking) by 50%, and lamotrigine reduced natural levels of progestin by 20%. I wonder if any of the meds you are taking are being affecting by your hormone levels, and if you knew how, then you could adjust your meds as needed.
Tracy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Chipmunk wrote:I remember you mentioning that your WED ebbs and flows with your cycle, and I thought of you when I was reading this:
http://www.womensmentalhealth.org/oral-contraceptives-reduce-lamotrigine-lamictal-blood-levels/. It says that estrogen reduced levels of lamotrigine (which I know you're not taking) by 50%, and lamotrigine reduced natural levels of progestin by 20%. I wonder if any of the meds you are taking are being affecting by your hormone levels, and if you knew how, then you could adjust your meds as needed.

Only taking methadone regularly. I sneak in a pramipexole every few days to cut back on the methadone.

A LOT of us have complained about the WED being affected by hormones, but not all. I never used to be - even taking these same drugs. Weird, huh?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wendy1961

Post by Wendy1961 »

ViewsAskew wrote:I ordered the Western Reserve trial pack. Two nights I've taken them - no question I'm tired when I do - almost like a natural sleeping pill. But, I've had worsened WED within 45 minutes or so both nights. Could be unrelated. Last night I took this first - at 10 PM. By 11 I was have a hard time keeping my eyes open, but I hadn't taken all my meds. It seemed a bit heavier than usual based on how much I'd taken, but I figured it was just that.

Tonight, I made sure I took all the meds but my last 5 mg before this and that I took this an hour before I intended on going to sleep. I took the last 5 mg right after this - I figured both would kick in about the same time. Well, I got sleep, but I also got WED. I've been wiggling and rotating and doing sewing machine legs while I work on the computer. I can't remember when my period is due, so it could be close and my WED worse anyway....but it wasn't worse earlier in the night and I take my drugs as I did tonight most of the time.

ViewsAskew--

Are you taking other RLS meds in addition to the Western Reserve stuff? Maybe that's throwing them off. I take mine all by themselves, no other meds, prescribed or otherwise, and they're still working great for me. I've never had them make me sleepy though. Could that be your other meds?

The stuff from Western Reserve, RL Solution, is still working great for me. On another note, my 21-year-old daughter, who never showed any symptoms before, started having them within the last 6 weeks or so. I gave her some of mine and they worked great for her too. I feel bad for her having this, but at least the stuff I have can help her through it!

Good luck!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wendy1961 wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:I ordered the Western Reserve trial pack. Two nights I've taken them - no question I'm tired when I do - almost like a natural sleeping pill. But, I've had worsened WED within 45 minutes or so both nights. Could be unrelated. Last night I took this first - at 10 PM. By 11 I was have a hard time keeping my eyes open, but I hadn't taken all my meds. It seemed a bit heavier than usual based on how much I'd taken, but I figured it was just that.

ViewsAskew--

Are you taking other RLS meds in addition to the Western Reserve stuff? Maybe that's throwing them off. I take mine all by themselves, no other meds, prescribed or otherwise, and they're still working great for me. I've never had them make me sleepy though. Could that be your other meds?

The stuff from Western Reserve, RL Solution, is still working great for me. On another note, my 21-year-old daughter, who never showed any symptoms before, started having them within the last 6 weeks or so. I gave her some of mine and they worked great for her too. I feel bad for her having this, but at least the stuff I have can help her through it!

Good luck!

I am taking it with other meds, though I have taken it before, too. The literature says that taking it with other medications will NOT affect it, however. I honestly haven't taken it a fourth time. After three increases, i stopped. My symptoms are completely "normal" since I did. Once of these days when I don't have to be up and working regularly, I'll try it again.

per the sleepy, my other meds cause me to be very, very, very charged and awake. I was THRILLED that I felt sleepy when I took these, because that would have been the perfect world for me.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

The first 2 times I took ghp (the somalife amino acid supplement), I got very sleepy and slept like a baby. The next 2 times, nothing. As if I had gotten used to them, or the sleepiness was coincidence. So I stopped taking them regularly. The dose was 6 huge pills.

One thing I never understood was that they told women to take the 6 pills in the morning, men in the evening. What could possibly be the difference?

fyi I have been taking 2 pills off and on in the mornings. I don't think it has made any difference to either my WED symptoms or my sleepiness. I guess I have to try the 6/day again ...

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

badnights wrote:The first 2 times I took ghp (the somalife amino acid supplement), I got very sleepy and slept like a baby. The next 2 times, nothing. As if I had gotten used to them, or the sleepiness was coincidence. So I stopped taking them regularly. The dose was 6 huge pills.

One thing I never understood was that they told women to take the 6 pills in the morning, men in the evening. What could possibly be the difference?

fyi I have been taking 2 pills off and on in the mornings. I don't think it has made any difference to either my WED symptoms or my sleepiness. I guess I have to try the 6/day again ...

They say it's because women release growth hormone in the morning, and men release it in the evening, and their pills are supposed to stimulate your body to release growth hormone. I'm pretty sure it's a load of cr@p but I have noticed that it works best if I take it straight away in the morning.

FWIW, I don't think the pills have been the same since the company was sold a year ago. I ordered the pharmaceutical version of them and I can't tell much difference between them and the other version. I do notice a difference in my sleep if I don't take them, but it's not a cure, more like I can take fewer meds or have more complete relief at the same dosage.
Tracy

aveerik

Post by aveerik »

I just got my 10 day free supply so I started it yesterday. Its weird but when I am not having issues with RLS I normally twitch really hard a few times right as I am falling asleep, this doesn't happen when my RLS is acting up. First thing I noticed about 20 minutes after taking it was a bubbly feeling in legs, then the horrible crawly anxious feeling left, and I relaxed enough I actually twitched. I ordered a bottle today because I am afraid I would run out before being able to get any more. Will let you know long term results. Thanks so much for a drug free alternative.

pjmccoy1

Post by pjmccoy1 »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Wendy1961 wrote:

ViewsAskew--

Good luck!

I am taking it with other meds, though I have taken it before, too. The literature says that taking it with other medications will NOT affect it, however. I honestly haven't taken it a fourth time. After three increases, i stopped. My symptoms are completely "normal" since I did. Once of these days when I don't have to be up and working regularly, I'll try it again.

per the sleepy, my other meds cause me to be very, very, very charged and awake. I was THRILLED that I felt sleepy when I took these, because that would have been the perfect world for me.

Wendy1961:
I'm new to this site but have been RLS member for a while. I developed RLS around 42, now 51. Just previously to that I had a bout of anxiety/OCD and mild/moderate depression at which time I was prescribed zoloft. Of course 18 months later I developed RLS which I had NEVER had before. And Zoloft side effects are periodic limb movement. So who knows which came first, RLS or RLS as related to side effect of Zoloft. Although been off Zoloft for several years now. And was on the lowest dose at the time. Very sensitive to any Rx's. ALways need lowest dose. Been on a carbidoba/levalopa plus clonazepam worked pretty well for almost 7 years then augmentation hit.... Then went on Horizant plus clonazepam. Now up to 1 mg of clonazepam at 10 p.m. now in addition to 5p.m. horizant. Still have varying degree of creepy crawly from 6p.m. - 10p.m. and lots of insomnia. But also post menopausal and night sweats can make RLS worse as does anxiety. Anyhow, I ordered the trial pack of the anino acids you mentioned yesterday only to see your latest post that it's not working for you anymore. Is that still the case?
PJ, Heaven Bound

aveerik

Post by aveerik »

I am still taking the western reserve stuff although I still have some really bad nights and get no sleep at all. I am also taking vit d, vit b12, iron, calcium, magnesium, and Mirapex. Oh and trazadone for sleep which is a joke. I bet it would work great if I wasn't having such WED symptoms. I really hope the amino acids work for you. The first night could have been a coincidence but it felt so great to have the start of my symptoms bubble away. Good luck