Natural antihistamies

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rthom

Natural antihistamies

Post by rthom »

I've never heard of a natural antihistamne. It's weird there seems to be a natural version of most anything else. WED suffers may be less bothered by a natural form I thought. Just a queery. :think:

Polar Bear

Re: Natural antihistamies

Post by Polar Bear »

Can't say I've heard of any. I did a quick google search and generally it seems to be that Vitamin C has properties and that the general approach is to avoid what may cause a histamine reaction.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

isn't that odd, eh?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There may well be natural histamines but I didn't have time to take more than a cursory look at google.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

I'm both just curious and really interested in giving something a try--to give my leg some relief. It's makig me nuts.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks a bunch--i think i'm goig to try one

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

An excellent link to natural antihistamines. Thank you.
Betty

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

For some reason the site didn't come up on my computer. Could be something on my end as they block a lot of sites at work. Just wanted to say that I use Allerplex, a standard process product when I have allergies and it's all natural. Best of luck in your search. I know allergies are a royal pain.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

doxylamine succinate: I don't think this is a natural antihistamine, but it doesn't kick up my RLS like other ones do. In fact, it quiets the RLS. It's the antihistamine in NyQuil. I first used it about six months ago when I had a bad cold, and it let me sleep through the night--no getting up at all with RLS. After using it for 3 or 4 nights, however, the RLS started flaring again--but no more than regular. I have another cold now, and used it last night again. Again, it quieted the RLS and I slept through the night.

I am amazed because I took something else with another antihistamine in it and was up the entire night.

rthom

Post by rthom »

:think: :clap:

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Doxylamine succinate is sold as a sleep aid in Amazon under the name of Kirkland Nighttime Signature Sleep Aid. The comments on it are that it is very strong, and most people cut the table in half.

Here is what Wikipedia says about it:

Doxylamine is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamines and has anti-allergy power superior to almost every other antihistamine on the market, with the exception of diphenhydramine (Benadryl); it is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics.[4] One study found that doxylamine succinate was more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative.

Another site I read said it worked by suppressing the neurotransmitters, which may be why it is giving some relief from RLS.

rthom

Post by rthom »

So I wonder what the bad side is for it? :think: :think: :-?

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Yeah, what's the catch? I don't know!

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Well, for me the catch is--it turns out--that the sedating effect on the RLS only lasted the first night. However, I did do a a search of doxylamine on this site, and it turns out that some people do use it regularly as a sleep aid and something that helps control rls.