Poppy seed tea - incredibly effective for me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Poppy seed tea - incredibly effective for me

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:I have looked all over at various tea and herb shops, but can't find poppy seed tea. Can any one tell me where they found this?

You make tea out of poppy seeds - like the seeds you put on bagels. Look for recipes for it, buy some seeds, and BE CAREFUL!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

erika13

Post by erika13 »

Hi Peanut1,

I buy mine online from a site called www.iherb.com

They are just regular poppy seeds that you use to make muffins and bagels.

They ship everywhere and here is a link to the seeds I’ve been using:

http://www.iherb.com/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Pop ... 26-g/29594

I’ve noticed a little tolerance now though ..

I hope this helps!

Erika

erika13

Post by erika13 »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to write a quick update.

The PST was incredibly effective for about 4 – 5 months but unfortunately I gradually started building up a tolerance and I was very reluctant to increase the dosage (from 4 tablespoons a night as a tea).

I stopped drinking the tea in late July and have since been taking 1 teaspoon a night of crushed Kratom leaf powder and am finding it even more effective. I am very much hoping that I won’t build up too much of a tolerance! I am taking a Borneo / Sumatra Red Vein Leaf strain, which is has more pain relieving, sedating effects than the other strains.

Erika

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I'll just add that, along with Erica, I find Kratom more effective than the poppy seed tea. I've been using the Malaysian and Indonesian green vein and the Sumatra white vein. I usually take a total of about 3-4 grams in small doses, from about 6 p.m. on through the night (Usually about .7 of a gram at a time). It gets rid of the hyper alert feeling, as well as quieting the restless sensation. I've been doing this for a little over 4 months and will update if I start to develop a tolerance. No side effects.

SOTO

Post by SOTO »

I have tried California Poppy Extract, available online and through health food stores for neuropathy in my feet, which, combined with RLS, makes for very active nights.
Perhaps it could be used in tea, as the seeds are, and there would be some information about the amounts of opioids in it?

vreijs

Post by vreijs »

SOTO wrote:I have tried California Poppy Extract, available online and through health food stores for neuropathy in my feet, which, combined with RLS, makes for very active nights.
Perhaps it could be used in tea, as the seeds are, and there would be some information about the amounts of opioids in it?

What was your experience with this California poppy extract? My pharmay has this, so I could try it also. Let me know your experiences.

All the best,

Victor

JustKeepWalking82

Post by JustKeepWalking82 »

Are the poppy seeds that you drink the same as the ones in say the spice bottles by McCormick and J.R. Watkins? I am thinking about getting the ones in the J.R. Watkins bottle.
Marisa
Always know that there are good people in the world to pick you up when you fall down.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

JustKeepWalking82 wrote:Are the poppy seeds that you drink the same as the ones in say the spice bottles by McCormick and J.R. Watkins? I am thinking about getting the ones in the J.R. Watkins bottle.

Sort of....

Poppy seeds vary tremendously in terms of how much opioid they have in them. My guess is that the ones in McCormick spice bottle have a lower percentage, but I could be wrong. Different varieties have much higher or lower percentages. The ones grown for food sources are not grown for the opioid in them, so the growers do not likely test them to find out if it is high or not. Or, maybe they deliberately grow ones with low concentrations to be safer. I do not know.

So, if you try this, you'd likely want to find a source that can attest that their seeds have a high concentration - otherwise you might think it didn't work, when it was really because the seeds weren't the best choice.

This leads to the problem with this approach. I'm not saying not to try it - just to be VERY careful! You could brew one batch and find that you needed X amount of seeds to give you relief. The next time you bought seeds they could be much stronger and this could make you sick. It is not likely you would die as long as you'd used opioids before, but some teenagers have. There isn't an easy way that I know of to test the strength of them. If you do it, it might help to always use the same source and buy the same kind. That's another reason that grocery store ones might not be the best option - you would never know what type you were getting.

I wish I knew a good way to do this to make sure it was reliable and safe each time. It certainly works for some people - it would be nice to have a consistent way to do it.

Whatever you do, do not tell anyone why you are buying them if you are in the US. It is illegal to use them this way in the US. I have to laugh - I garden and have grown poppies. It's legal to grow them, of course (and those seeds are treated, IIRC, to keep people from using them this way), but only to look at. If you grow them with the intent of using the seeds, it's illegal. I always chuckle at that - how in the world could anyone determine that??????
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Another issue is that many manufacturers these days, especially that supply chain stores, typically use washed or irradiated seeds. Which makes them effectively useless for Tea..

I've thought about it from time to time. But the dose inconsistency, and the difficulty in obtaining good, unwashed seeds, and the inherent danger if you screw up tends to give me pause. Then there are the myriad of different recipes to sort through too. Poppy Seed Tea is not something to trifle with lightly, as it stays in your system for a long period of time and if you overdo it you can easily kill yourself. I've seen reports of people catching a buzz for up to 2 days off a single batch they made and drank.

I always thought it would be neat to grow my own poppy, but never had the balls to try obtaining one.