diet continued

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

diet continued

Post by peanut1 »

I have severe WED and when I stay on my diet (no grain, excitoxins, processed foods, caffeine, or sugar) I can get 5-6 hours a night without any meds. Usually, I get off the beaten track and eat someone that has excitoxins (like mayonnaise on closlaw and some juice with an excitoxin) or a little decaffinated coffee in the morning and my sleep tanks to somewhere between 2-3.5 hours a night. Sometimes, for me, it's worth a bad night cuz I'm so tired of eating the same sh**! My supplements are calcium, multi vitamin, Vitamin B (although I have taken out the vitamin b and gotten better sleep before, but since I get tired a lot I figure it's worth the energy and better than caffiene) , enzymes for digestion, adrenal complex as needed (natural sleeper) and iron 2 X per day. I also found that iodine helped a lot, but I've backed off on that a bit.

I am getting treatments for my back as well as anxiety with the musgutova method and I noticed that it helped out the WED since I'm able to eat a little bit more w/o getting 0 hours a night. Not much but every little bit helps!

EeFall

Re: diet continued

Post by EeFall »

I guess my question is what can you eat? It is nice that you can control WED with diet though.

The only food type of ingredient that I found that helps my WED is to stay away from aspartame, besides that nothing seems to help except to be loaded up with medications. Medications tend to make me tired, dizzy, and groggy.

peanut1

Re: diet continued

Post by peanut1 »

Sorry it's taken so late to respond. I can eat protein, meat, beans, nuts etc, all dairy, all fruits and vegetables. It's the grain, caffeine, excitoxins, or sugar that I can't eat. Most of the time it works good, but if I'm under a lot of stress I still get somewhere between 1.5-3 hours a night. I don't mind a few nights of that, but it keeps up I turn to the meds. But I try to do them part time even then.