Hypothyroidism and low ferritin

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Roger411

Hypothyroidism and low ferritin

Post by Roger411 »

I read on Wikipedia that hypothyroidism is a possible cause of low ferritin levels.My iron level is normal, but my ferritin clocked in at a 9, last March.I posted a couple days ago that I had a second ferritin test done after taking vitamins,and getting off wheat. I thought the reading had come up to normaI,as The Dr. didn't notify me about the results. Just found out yesterday that my ferritin is still a 9.
The consensus on the boards is to take iron supplements to get ferritin up, and it takes many months.
I have been hesitant to take iron, as Im afraid of iron overload,but Im going to start iron.I will get the thyroid checked,as I do have hypothyroid symptoms.
I donated blood regularly for 20 years which may have contributed to my problem.

ViewsAskew

Re: Hypothyroidism and low ferritin

Post by ViewsAskew »

Just my two cents - you really don't need to worry about iron overload for many months. Do have it checked every 3-4 months to make you feel comfortable about it. All of the research and anecdotes I've read indicate that it's at least 6-9 months to increase your iron to an acceptable level when your ferritin is 15 or lower to start.

A possible connection between WED/RLS and hypothryroidsm is interesting - as related to ferritin. Seems like having hypothyroidsm could cause secondary WED. Food for thought related to hypothyroidism and WED:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882550/

They have some interesting remarks in this article about why augmentation might occur, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Roger411

Post by Roger411 »

Thanks alot Ann.Im taking 3 ferrous sulphate pills a day, for 2 weeks, got my iron checked today and it hasnt gone up yet, thank goodness.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

How were your thyroid test results?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.