Whats the best iron supplement?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Roger411

Whats the best iron supplement?

Post by Roger411 »

What iron supplement is easy on the stomach and easiest to absorb. With my ferritin at 9, how many mg should I take?

Chipmunk

Re: Whats the best iron supplement?

Post by Chipmunk »

There are a few different options for you.

1) Slow FE (can buy at Walgreens). It really is easier on your stomach but will cost a lot with the dose that you will have to take.

2) Start the regular iron supplements and give it a week or two. I found that once I got through the beginning that my stomach adjusted somewhat. Lots of fiber is key - I like Brownberry extra fiber bread because it has a lot of fiber but doesn't taste like plywood.

3) Ask for a RX iron supplement. It won't be covered by insurance, so call around to different pharmacies to see which one has the best price. You can even go to some HMO pharmacies even if you aren't a member because you'll be paying cash. I think I took Niferex but I can't remember for sure. Whatever it was, it brought my iron levels up more slowly than the regular iron but was better for me because I wasn't tempted to skip doses all the time.

Whatever you do, make sure to take it with Vitamin C and/or orange juice. Iron is best absorbed in an acidic environment.

Here's some more info from LiveStrong: (http://www.livestrong.com/article/70183-types-iron-supplements)
Iron-deficiency anemia is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies, according to the World Health Organization. For some people, increasing the iron in their diet is not enough, and an iron supplement is prescribed. The most common types of supplements are in a form of a ferrous iron salt. The ferrous form of iron is absorbed better than the ferric form. The term elemental iron describes the amount of actual iron available for absorption.

Ferrous Sulfate
This is the most common type of iron supplement prescribed. Iron is bound to a sulfur molecule to form the compound. Ferrous sulfate contains 20 percent elemental iron. For example, a 325-mg tablet will provide 65 mg of elemental iron. It is best to wait 2 hours after eating and take the medication on an empty stomach. Common side effects of ferrous sulfate are constipation, stomach upset and dark stools. The liquid version may also stain teeth.

Ferrous Fumarate
Ferrous fumarate, the type of compound in the commercial brand Hemocyte, is 33 percent elemental iron. A 325-mg tablet will provide 106 mg of elemental iron. The cost is typically higher than ferrous sulfate, but dosing is reduced from three pills to two pills because of the additional available iron per tablet.

Ferrous Gluconate
Ferrous gluconate is formed with iron and gluconic acid. It is only 12 percent elemental iron, so a 325-mg tablet will provide 35 mg of elemental iron. Fergon is a well-known consumer brand. Interestingly, ferrous gluconate is a black dye that is also used as a food additive when processing black olives.

Iron Polysaccharide
Niferex, by Schwarz Pharma, is one brand of iron supplement that uses a polysaccharide iron complex. Capsules are 100 percent elemental iron and are not bound to a salt as the ferrous compounds are. Capsules come in dosages of 50, 100 and 150 mg of iron. The cost for a one-month supply, per the 2001 Red Book for Pharmacists, was 2 to 5 times more than that of ferrous iron salts.

Carbonyl Iron
Carbonyl iron comes in a 50-mg tablet that is taken three times a day. The absorption of carbonyl iron varies, depending upon the production of gastric acid produced in the stomach, which is required to make the mineral soluble. Carbonyl iron enters the blood stream more gradually than other forms of iron because it dissolves more slowly. The cost is comparable to a slow-release tablet of ferrous sulfate, but is significantly more than most forms of iron supplements.

Edited to Add:
I looked through my MyChart messages to my doctor and found this which I wrote after talking with his nurse, who was having trouble getting her iron up.
Terri mentioned that her iron was even lower than mine and I wanted to share that I am very happy with the new Rx I have for iron supplements. It doesn't bother my stomach and I feel like more of it might be being absorbed because (TMI) my stools don't look like coal anymore. It is not covered by Dean or GHC - it was $67 at GHC and $85 at Walgreens for 60 capsules but well worth it IMO. I was constantly sick to my stomach on the OTC ferrous sulfate. Here is a link to it: http://www.rxlist.com/niferex-150-drug.htm
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Roger411

Post by Roger411 »

Thank You very much for all the info, Tracy!

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

You're welcome! Hope it helps!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.