Constipation solutions

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Constipation solutions

Post by ViewsAskew »

For any who take opioids, constipation can be a horrible side effect. In many threads we've talked of it, but I don't recall a thread specifically about it.

There are lots of natural ways to deal with it - some work better than others for each of us.

My favorite is white kidney bean extract - but, oddly, only products specially call it "Phase 2" extract. I had good luck with the original brand for several years. A month ago, I ordered ones that didn't say they were Phase 2 - just that it was white kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) extract - and I was immediately terribly constipated. I took the whole bottle, taking more and more, hoping they would work. Finally I ordered more of the Phase 2 kind (but a different brand) and within 3-4 days, all is good again. Dosage was the same on all three products.

Two other things are really important to me - water and walking. A trip around a large mall? Almost always end at a bathroom :-).

Generally speaking, I eat lots of veggies and fruits plus oats and whole wheat, usually about 80 to 100% suggested fiber in my diet every day. It's just not enough. And, while eating beans helps, it's not the same as this weird extract. No idea if it would help others the same way - very glad it helps me!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Constipartion solutions

Post by badnights »

I use 3/4 cup of a mixture that is half 1-minute oatmeal and half baking bran (with cinnamon for flavor). I add water or milk and microwave it for a minute or so. Just as important as the bran for the anti-constipation effect, I also add chopped apple (I put it in before heating) and yogurt. I add nuts and raisins for fun.

Second thing is water; drink lots every day. Once you're constipated, it's too late, so don't get behind.

I looked up the Phase2 brand product, and it seems to be a super-concentrated extract of white kidney beans that blocks production of a pancreatic enzyme that enables the small intestine to digest starch. It is designed as a weight-loss product (and is bashed by someone here for being an unhealthy way to lose weight) but might have the anti-constipation effect because once the starches get to the large intestine, they ferment and give off gas. This can cause bloating and diarrhea, but perhaps just moves things along in someone who might otherwise be constipated.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Re: Constipartion solutions

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:I use 3/4 cup of a mixture that is half 1-minute oatmeal and half baking bran (with cinnamon for flavor). I add water or milk and microwave it for a minute or so. Just as important as the bran for the anti-constipation effect, I also add chopped apple (I put it in before heating) and yogurt. I add nuts and raisins for fun.

Second thing is water; drink lots every day. Once you're constipated, it's too late, so don't get behind.

I looked up the Phase2 brand product, and it seems to be a super-concentrated extract of white kidney beans that blocks production of a pancreatic enzyme that enables the small intestine to digest starch. It is designed as a weight-loss product (and is bashed by someone here for being an unhealthy way to lose weight) but might have the anti-constipation effect because once the starches get to the large intestine, they ferment and give off gas. This can cause bloating and diarrhea, but perhaps just moves things along in someone who might otherwise be constipated.

My sister tried it for weight loss. She said it didn't help that, but that she was always very regular - since she has had constipation issues, I tried it. I notice no gas or bloating. But, as you said, it might be different if my system didn't have concrete in it!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Re: Constipation solutions

Post by Chipmunk »

I eat Arnold's Extra Fiber bread, eat hummus and Wheat Thins, lots of fruit and veggies, lots of water, and try to eat fiber-rich foods whenever I can.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Chipmunk wrote:I eat Arnold's Extra Fiber bread, eat hummus and Wheat Thins, lots of fruit and veggies, lots of water, and try to eat fiber-rich foods whenever I can.

If you're like me, you're extremely happy now that it's summer in the US. Just this week, I bought cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and nectarines, along with the standbys of apples, pears, grapes, and bananas. I have chard, carrots, radishes, mesclun, purslane,and lettuce in the garden. Happy days!

I can't get myself to like the extra fiber breads. They seem to all use inulin (chicory fiber) and it feels squeaky in my teeth, lol. I have to make do with a 4 gram fiber bread - the most I can usually find without the inulin. I wish I liked it. I only eat one slice a day, but it would likely help.

Still, if I didn't take something else, I'd be miserable. I can't imagine how difficult is for people who tend to prefer fewer fruits and veggies. For people who don't like them much, choosing ones with a lot of fiber can be helpful.

Pears have 5- 6 grams of fiber, and apple about 4-5.

Most dried beans have a lot - 15 to 20 grams in a cup. They are also higher calorie, but the protein can make you feel full. So, hummus from garbanzo beans is about 7 to 8 grams in a half cup. That will veggies can be a nice lunch.

Brans - usually are high, so cereals with it usually have around 5-10 grams in a half cup to cup.

Oatmeal can be added to meatloaf or to bread if you bake it. Cooked, it has about 8-10 grams in a cup. Since I bake gluten free for hubby, I add cooked oats to cookies, breads, just about anything.

Dried figs (3 have 10 grams) are very high - anything with lots of seeds is good (kiwi, berries, and so on)

Lentils aren't as high as beans, but are in he 5-10 gram range

Split peas are very high - 10-15 grams for a cup of cooked

Cooked carrots (if cooked fresh and not overcooked, I love them) have about 7 grams in a cup

Brown rice has 5-6 grams in a cup (cooked)

Fresh or frozen peas are very high - about 8-10 grams in a half cup!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

My doctor actually told me to eat an apple a day. :) That was so cool. (Am I dating myself? Or is it still an expression: "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"?)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.