A List of Natural Remedies that Will Lessen your RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dwimble

A List of Natural Remedies that Will Lessen your RLS

Post by dwimble »

I've created a list of natural remedies that will help lessen your RLS/WED.

I've used a combination of them in my recovery.

http://www.rlcure.com/daily.html

jul2873

Re: A List of Natural Remedies that Will Lessen your RLS

Post by jul2873 »

Hi Dwimble,

I appreciate your post, and the time you took to spell all of this out for us. And I am really glad that the vitamins seem to have done the trick for you.

But, as I'm sure you know, this is a very complex disease, and it seems to affect people in different ways. For example, I have been taking most of those vitamins for almost a year, and while they have helped, they have certainly not been a cure for me. In addition, I don't think that inflammation is the culprit in my case. I have had my inflammation levels checked, and they are normal--even low normal.

However, I do think it is good that we keep trying things and suggesting to others things that have worked for us. It would be different if there were a wonderful treatment that completely managed this disease, but, at this point, that does not seem to be the case. Instead, doctors and sufferers are patching together various treatments trying to find something effective.

Best to you . . ..

dwimble

Post by dwimble »

I appreciate your feedback.

Actually the crucial aspect of the recovery is what it is you're still eating and drinking.

All the nutrients, herbs, minerals and vitamins in the world cannot compensate for an inflammatory diet.

The existing biomarkers for testing inflammation are not dependable. They test for a certain type, but
the truth is that science knows a percentage of a percentage of how the human body functions. This
holds true of all the ways they test for nutrients and minerals ... and inflammation.

Studies have shown that the presence of inflammation skewers the results of iron tests. I'm
sure it's the same for many other tests.

Doctors and sufferers actually are not patching together anything.

They will find, many years from now, that inflammation is the cause.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think I've noted before that I've cut out inflammatory food and beverage, taken all the supplements, yet I still had both WED and PLMS. I've been sugar free, gluten free, soy free, corn free, dairy free, nut free, and egg free. For grains, I ate no white rice, not potatoes, nothing "white" and refined. I ate primarily brown rice, oats, and quinoa for grains. For meat, I ate only fish or organic free-range chicken once in awhile, and at least 70% of meals were vegetarian. I ate nothing processed. I made everything from scratch. I juiced every day. I took the vitamins I should and cooked Indian frequently to use curcumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and other similar spices. I lost 50 pounds.

There was no difference for me with my symptoms - if anything, they got worse. I actually was doing it because I was exhausted, not sleeping well, and had gastro issues. That was actually when things were the worst they ever were for me. I lost work and became unable to function. It was because of horrendous PLMS that kept me from getting any deep sleep. I followed this diet for close to a year.

Edited to add the following: Taking off my moderator hat....
While I wish fervently that this would work for everyone, I know it didn't work for me. It may work for many - I don't know. Because it's hereditary, happens in very young children, and has happened for over 400 years, during which time people ate much more in line with an anti-inflammatory diet, I think factors other than inflammation must be part of the problem. This may turn out to be an aggravating factor. It's just not logical that it's the only factor. It also could be a primary factor in secondary WED. Hopefully research will help us figure it out, and soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dwimble

Post by dwimble »

That's an impressive list of things you did. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

Still, I'm convinced something in your life was irritating and prolonging and inflammation inside of you.

I have no idea what. Mold? electricity? Who knows. There are so many elements to choose from.

Quinoa and brown rice are actually inflammatory, but even so, with all you were taking, that shouldn't have mattered.

When you say juicing, are you talking carrot or fruit? A lot of fruits ie: oranges, are actually inflammatory.

If you would like to send me an e-mail with your daily food and beverage intake back then, I'd be happy to take a look and maybe something will jump out.

The inflammation/RLS from 400 years ago could have resulted from several factors. Coal burning, meat, viruses, stress. Again, who knows.

dwimble

Post by dwimble »

I forgot to ask. Were you on any medications at the time?

Also, my email is david@rlcure.com

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for the offer - I'm comfortable with my current regimen and am not planning on making any changes at this time.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bryher

Post by bryher »

I am so happy I decided to come to the board today and check out the Non-Pharma section!!!
Dwimble, what you state on your website and blog (the little that I've read in a few mins) is EXACTLY where I'm planning to focus my next round of attention to battle this disease. I was planning on doing an all-out blitz on inflammation am going to start with your material. I'm now convinced chronic inflammation may be causing my symptoms. Until a few weeks ago when quitting dairy for a week seemed to have an impact, I had no idea chronic inflammation was a term. i'm hearing more and more about it. A couple years ago when I began this battle I always knew my last resort would be to completely clean out my diet, start from scratch at the most basic level and gradually add things until I found a cause. And this is a similar idea.

I agree that its different for everyone. And there's no silver bullet. At the same time I know sufferers like my mom and sister who say they've done everything, including their diet but really havent done it all in reality, and still take tons of meds. What you recommend is probably not easy and I know they would never do it. My sister will say she's cut everything out and then mention she still drinks 6 diet cokes a day, and I see all the meds she's on. So I know this isnt easy. But I'm going to look into it and try it.

I'm rambling b/c I have so much reading to do, but have to say thanks for posting your findings.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

bryher wrote:I am so happy I decided to come to the board today and check out the Non-Pharma section!!!
Dwimble, what you state on your website and blog (the little that I've read in a few mins) is EXACTLY where I'm planning to focus my next round of attention to battle this disease. I was planning on doing an all-out blitz on inflammation am going to start with your material. I'm now convinced chronic inflammation may be causing my symptoms. Until a few weeks ago when quitting dairy for a week seemed to have an impact, I had no idea chronic inflammation was a term. i'm hearing more and more about it. A couple years ago when I began this battle I always knew my last resort would be to completely clean out my diet, start from scratch at the most basic level and gradually add things until I found a cause. And this is a similar idea.

I agree that its different for everyone. And there's no silver bullet. At the same time I know sufferers like my mom and sister who say they've done everything, including their diet but really havent done it all in reality, and still take tons of meds. What you recommend is probably not easy and I know they would never do it. My sister will say she's cut everything out and then mention she still drinks 6 diet cokes a day, and I see all the meds she's on. So I know this isnt easy. But I'm going to look into it and try it.

I'm rambling b/c I have so much reading to do, but have to say thanks for posting your findings.

Bryher, I'm glad you found something helpful today, and I truly hope that attacking inflammation will help with your WED.

As far as your mom and sister, remember that we are all on our own journeys and the best you can do for them is share how something has worked for you or worsened your WED and let them ask questions. I agree with you that Diet Coke isn't a health food BUT it doesn't necessarily worsen her WED, kwim?

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on how it's going!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dwimble

Post by dwimble »

Glad you found it helpful. Keep me posted on how it goes!

jrynar

Post by jrynar »

I recently gave up on all prescription medications. Nothing truly helped and each resulted in augmentation. The last try was so powerful that I was doped up for hours. I truly perplexed my doctor. I was using a natural remedy called Restless Legs or Restful Legs to help when my prescription medication was not working totally. I decided to see if they could work alone. I am amazed. It does! I am not saying that this is a cure-all and that it would work for everyone but it is certainly worth the try. I got a large quantity of Restful Legs from Amazon and saved quite a bit of money. These two products are sold in health food stores. Try a small bottle first to see how it works. :D
Does anyone think that foods contribute to the condition???

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We have heard Restless Legs / Restful Legs mentioned before and it will be interesting to hear how long you have been using it and if it continues to be of help.
I used it myself without benefit - which goes to show what we know - that we are all so different in what works for us.

When you say that you gave up on prescription medication because it all ended up with augmentation - what meds have you tried? The anti convulsants and the opiods are not known to cause augmentation.

It's nice to hear of good news with regards to treatment and hope that it lasts a long time for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It didn't work for me, either.

Per foods, it's possible. It depends, I think, on the underlying cause. People with secondary WED, such as those with celiac disease, certainly would find that food helped or hurt. People with primary WED probably are less likely to - but some people here with primary find that aspartame, for example, is an issue. Quite a few people find that sugar is. For years, sugar did not affect mine. Now it does sometimes, but I have no rhyme or reason as to when.

Managing Your RLS

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I can tell you that Restful legs didn't do a damn thing for me and I don't have inflammation. I know my WED got worse and worse after the neuropathy in my arm that has since "healed" and I also wonder if my hormones didn't get thrown off. But the hormone thing is a guess.