Tonic water!!

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Nightcrawler

Tonic water!!

Post by Nightcrawler »

I have tried literally everything for my RlS. Requip, mirapex, hot bath, tens unit, diet change, the list is years long...
My chiropractor suggested tonic water. 6 oz before bed. I of course had nothing but doubt, however i was willing to try one more thing that i was sure would not work for me.
I read the blogs about tonic water and RLS...most said it didnt work. I bought a 99 cent bottle of tonic water and figured i had nothing to lose. Long ago i figured out what aggravates my RLS. I am very cautious and do not mess around with my diet so when i drank the tonic water i expected nothing different or worsening of my symptoms. The first night, no change. Kicked and tossed most of the night as usual. The second night, no RLS symptoms.. I woke several times actually 'searching' for the familiar crawling feeling. It just wasn't there.
I was hesitant to credit the tonic water but i had not changed anything else so...
The third night still no RLS symptoms. I am shocked and amazed that for 99 cents a week i can sleep without symptoms.
Part of me is still waiting for the crawling to return but the other part of me is sleeping like a baby. (More or less :-)
Chiro said the quinine in the tonic water is the 'thing' that works the magic. I read that there are side effects from quinine but at this point they cant be worse than vomiting requip or aching muscles or not sleeping. I believe a combination of not doing anything that aggravates my symptoms and the tonic water is the key. This includes no over the counter meds, no muscle relaxers, no chocolate at night and so on. I am hoping the symptoms stay away. I will post again in a few days...

Polar Bear

Re: Tonic water!!

Post by Polar Bear »

I am delighted that you are getting much deserved respite from symptoms and above all, the bliss of sleep.
Who knows why different things work for different folks.
Please keep posting regularly and let us know how it's going.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

How odd. A lot of people have tried quinine to no avail. Supposedly, it works for muscle cramps, not for WED/RLS. But you're you have WED/RLS and not cramps?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My understanding is that quinine/tonic water does nothing for WED symptoms. Knowing that, I still tried it myself at a time.
I wondered if perhaps it could be a placebo effect and thus might work for a short time ???
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As I understand it, it's not even recommended for cramps anymore. I can't remember why..
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think quinine was having too many drug interactions and side affects.
Although the amount of quinine in tonic water must be pretty low.
Betty

Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Well here it is 10 days later and tonic water is still working. To my surprise! I am as interested in why certain things work for some and not for others. I can only guess it is a combination or the lack of a comination of things that influence the effectiveness of a particular 'therapy'. I am not taking any other meds and i do watch my food triggers. I do not have leg cramps. I HAD the creeping sensation with irresistible urge to move. My grandmother (88yrs old) has RLS. I read it can be genetic. My daughter experiences it to off and on. I read that quinine used to be prescribed for RLS symptoms but is no longer approved for that. The low amount in tonic water can not be as negative as the pharmaceuticals they now suggest. My reaction to pharms was quite unpleasant. I will post again in a week or two... Until then i can say without anxiety that it is my bedtime!!! :-)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nightcrawler wrote:Well here it is 10 days later and tonic water is still working. To my surprise! I am as interested in why certain things work for some and not for others. I can only guess it is a combination or the lack of a comination of things that influence the effectiveness of a particular 'therapy'. I am not taking any other meds and i do watch my food triggers. I do not have leg cramps. I HAD the creeping sensation with irresistible urge to move. My grandmother (88yrs old) has RLS. I read it can be genetic. My daughter experiences it to off and on. I read that quinine used to be prescribed for RLS symptoms but is no longer approved for that. The low amount in tonic water can not be as negative as the pharmaceuticals they now suggest. My reaction to pharms was quite unpleasant. I will post again in a week or two... Until then i can say without anxiety that it is my bedtime!!! :-)

I often think that we typically only get people who couldn't find anything that worked because many people do find things like that do. From tonic water to magnesium to bars of soap in the bed - many people find ways to make it better.

I hope it works for a long time. Do us a favor, try to remember to come back every 30 days or so. I'd be interested in seeing if you get months or years out of it and if it changes (unfortunately), to see when and why. Maybe that could help others in some way.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Nightcrawler, yes please do keep in touch. We really do want to know how long this works for you, hopefully for a long time :)
Betty

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Yes, I did the tonic water thing many years ago when the WED was not so bad and it worked for a few days. Curious to know if this continues to work. Maybe you just had a deficiency of some kind.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Peanut, quinine, like any good DA (which it is) will lose its effectiveness in no short order and need to be increased. I think it can be part of an arsenal of DAs that people stash in their cupboard for emergencies. I now realize that the same thing happens to people who try bananas (especially at night) or potassium pills (especially at night) it will work for a few nights and then not. And then they stop taking potassium completely. Potassium sounds like it's a DA as well and probably worth keeping in the cupboard for emergencies. DAs have their place but I think we need to figure out a way to grow our dopamine receptors. Article to follow.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Really amazing article. Not only does food restriction increase D2 receptors (in rodents) but food restriction STILL increases D2 receptors in obese mice every bit as much as in lean mice!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17960763