Curcumin to reduce inflammation

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Chipmunk

Curcumin to reduce inflammation

Post by Chipmunk »

When my recent iron test results indicating Anemia of Chronic Disease (full-body inflammation) I did some research on it and Curcumin came up as a possible treatment to reduce the inflammation.

I ordered this supplement: (Curcumin from Amazon) and I have been amazed at the results. Some of you may remember that I had an allergic reaction to the Lamictal that was working well for me and I have been on gabapentin ever since but it's only half-covering the symptoms.

After I started the Curcumin, there have been evenings where my legs don't ever start buzzing. Even on the Lamictal they would always start buzzing at about 6 p.m. I am really amazed at how much the Curcumin has reduced my symptoms and I wanted to share because if you suspect inflammation might be worsening your WED then this supplement is definitely worth a try!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Curcumin to reduce inflammation

Post by Polar Bear »

I see your link is to pills of 250 dosage, what dosage are you taking.
You sound very impressed. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I take one pill in the morning and one pill in the evening.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I will try most things once, and have placed an order. In particular as I also have fibro, and my recent bloods showed that my inflammatory levels are up and I need ESR and LFTs done again in 4 weeks.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it's likely only to help people who have inflammation as one of the issues. I've taken curcumin, cinnamon, fenugreek, and other antinflammatories (they help blood-sugar levels among other things, too), to no avail for WED.

BUT, if you have an auto-immune disorder (as Polar Bear does) or feel chronic inflammation is part of it, it's wise to try these things and see what happens.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I also looked it up and found that it alters iron metabolism by chelating iron, potentially causing iron deficiency. But they did say it helps with inflammation. I have terrible osteoarthritis, which it would probably help.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

debbluebird wrote:I also looked it up and found that it alters iron metabolism by chelating iron, potentially causing iron deficiency. But they did say it helps with inflammation. I have terrible osteoarthritis, which it would probably help.

Could you share the link to that info? I'd like to read more about that.
Tracy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16545682

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.o ... 2/270.full

Just a couple that mention that is does indeed chelate iron. One link suggested that iron buildup may be responsible for many degenerative diseases....guess that means some of us might not get those! Here we are trying to get more, and these people are saying we need to get rid of it....sigh. Here's the link...I have NO idea if anything said here is backed by research. There is a link at the end suggesting that it is. But, I didn't read it in detail or do any research on it. http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/mar ... ion_01.htm

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I googled Curcumin and got this. Then look under Potential risks and side effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Gulp... !!
I wonder if it works as a single dose, something to use only on a bad night when nothing else has helped and desperation is knocking at the door.
As opposed to using on a regular basis.
Betty

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Polar Bear wrote:Gulp... !!
I wonder if it works as a single dose, something to use only on a bad night when nothing else has helped and desperation is knocking at the door.
As opposed to using on a regular basis.

Sigh...
Guess I will make sure to only take one a day at the most, and less if I can.

It took a couple days to see results, but I wonder if you could use it for a while and then back off? It really is helping me - here it is 11:30 p.m. and I have only the most mild of symptoms. That is really unheard of for me, even medicated.
Tracy

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Hi Tracy,

I read the Wiki article and I see that they report a search of the literature and found that up to 12 grams a day seemed safe. If you're only taking 2 250 mg. tables a day (500 mg) you would have to take 24 times the amount you're taking now to move out of that safety zone.

Anyway, it certainly looks like it's worth a try. I think there is a downside to anything we take; it's a question of what is the lowest risk for the most benefit. You might have found something! Thanks for the link.

Mary

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good point, Mary.

And, there are also MANY other food/spice items that reduce inflammation, Tracy. And many seem safe. From cherry juice concentrate (quite a few studies related to it) to ginger, curcumin, fenugreek, and more. I take all of these, actually, because of a chronic knee condition and to reduce blood sugar (family of diabetics including father's death at 45 from untreated diabetes - trying to ensure I'm not one of them). So far, it helps on all fronts - I have less knee pain and my blood sugar stays in the healthy range (it might anyway, but these are inexpensive enough to make me feel better taking them). Just doesn't reduce the WED for me.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

In my simplified view of the universe, something that chelates iron in our bodies is a good thing - it mops up free iron that's running around in the blood and incorporates it into ferritin and other safe storage places.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

i see I'm too simple - just read over the bloodjournal link. sigh.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.