RLS connection to IBS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
yochris

RLS connection to IBS

Post by yochris »

Did anyone try probiotics? My RLS was connected to the fact that I had IBS. I was advised that this is caused by yeasts, moulds and other bad organisms that set up home in the gut. They pump out toxins every time one feeds them with sugary or yeasty foods. This makes the liver and the whole body toxic. Well that was the theory.

Didn't have much confidence, but I was desperate so I took probiotics in tablet form (acidophilus at first and then Probio Daily which is L.Sporogenes) and after a couple of months the RLS had gone and my IBS was calming down. It probably took another couple of months to get the IBS really sorted. I still take probiotics from time to time as I dont want it to come back.

Another supplement I used is Aloe Vera juice. Did anyone try it?

The reason I'm on this discussion board is my husband has RLS but it isn't connected to IBS. I have started giving him L Arginine and was pleased to see that there have been some positive reports from other members.

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS connection to IBS

Post by ViewsAskew »

There was a study a few years ago connecting some types of WED/RLS with IBS. Unfortunately, as you noted, it's not the same for everyone - it's a cause of secondary WED, not primary. Anyone who has primary WED is less likely to find this to remove the symptoms.

I hope your husband's disease responds to what you try. Many of us here believe that there are variants of the disease - we already know that there are many causes of secondary WED, so there are many different treatments that may help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.