diet

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

diet

Post by peanut1 »

Eating healthy ie no caffeine, sugar, MSG ingredients, and for me no grain have helped the WED quite a bit. There are times when everything is relatively peaceful and stable in my life where I can go without taking any meds just on the diet alone and keeping the stress down.

badnights

Re: diet

Post by badnights »

No grain at all? Did you try just no wheat/rye/barley (gluten-bearing) grains?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Hi Beth,

NO grain at all which is rather weird I know. The only thing i can speculate is that it's a digestive thing, but again I'm only guessing.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm reading Terry Wahls' new book The Wahls Protocol (a re-vamped version of her previous book called Minding your Mitochondria). I will post more in another topic, but your no-grains-at-all is in line with what she recommends.

She's a medical doctor with MS who was wheelchair bound, unable to sit up straight, heading for a bed-ridden existence, but researching every night about the ultimate causes of her disease. She began experimenting with her diet, based on what she learned, and effected a sort of miracle, being able to walk with a cane after a few months, eventually walking without a cane, running, riding a bike etc. by following this diet. She recommends it for anyone with a chronic disease. And it's no-grains.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Beth, I just watched a video of her and ordered her book. Thanks for the tip. It sounds really interesting.

Mary

badnights

Post by badnights »

yes, isn't her story incredible? And yet at the same time, it all makes so much sense, which is what gets me.

I'm doing the diet. I think I am doing the Paleo Plus version. I am not jumping on a diet bandwagon, though it must sound that way :), I am becoming increasingly impressed by this woman's research, and probably seduced by hope, as well.

I don't like that she calls it Paleo because of the bad connotations in my mind (nutcases eating raw food) but I seem to be willing to try it. I don't know how I will survive without any grains or legumes, but the salads and cooked veggies sure are yummy.

Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Eating anything with tomatoes and/ or vinegar especially for dinner will always give my legs an active night. Also lettuce, spinach, spring mix. Kale and beans are great though. Having ginger (no sugar) before bedtime also helps a great deal!