Kratom working for now...

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jul2873

Re: Kratom working for now...

Post by jul2873 »

I just read here http://kratomassociation.org/forum?view ... 3&id=11517 that the Botanical Legal Defense (http://www.botanicallegaldefense.org/) which is a great organization that I support, convinced Michigan simply to restrict purchases to people over the age of 18. And that's a restriction I certainly have no problem with.

It just seems incredible to me that while the country is moving in the direction of making pot legal, it would be trying to outlaw something as mild as kratom at the same time.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great news! I wonder if Wisconsin will do a similar thing? IIRC, Neco, one of our members, said that it wasn't available in Wisconsin.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah that would be great. I really wanted to try it, and I was pissed when I tried to order some and found out that it was banned in WI. :roll:

NellieK

Post by NellieK »

Thank you for posting this. I have been experiencing augmentation with ropinrole (Requip) and my RLS has been steadily worse. I had a medical procedure (non-RLS related) and was under conscious sedation with memory erasing meds. I woke up with a big bruise on my shin -- they told me my restless legs were kicking throughout the entire procedure and I had kicked the side of the gurney hard enough to bruise. I have been experiencing RLS during the day now, too, and it has traveled into my upper arms as well. I used to be able to kick all night and nap during the day, but no more... I am going to try the most relaxing strains of Kratom.

Nellie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nellie, good luck getting off the ropinerole. You likely will need help from an opioid to do it. As most of us who've augmented can attest, once you augment, it never gets better on its own! And stopping can be terribly, awfully, incredibly hard!

Good luck with it!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

NellieK

Post by NellieK »

Thanks! I'm down to 0.5 mg ropinrole per night -- the most I was taking was 0.75 mg. Already it seems my RLS is better, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm trying kratom tonight. I'll post my results tomorrow.

Nellie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

NellieK wrote:Thanks! I'm down to 0.5 mg ropinrole per night -- the most I was taking was 0.75 mg. Already it seems my RLS is better, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm trying kratom tonight. I'll post my results tomorrow.

Nellie

When I was augmented, I absolutely had fewer symptoms when I dropped my dose. It didn't make all the problems go away, by any means, but it definitely was better than when I was at the higher dose.

Looking forward to your results - and surely hoping it's positive.

Managing Your RLS

SnOman

Post by SnOman »

Nellie, I have now tried more than a few Kratom vendors and have found "mmm speciosa" located in Texas to be consistently high in quality, and they always send extra samples to try. I am in Michigan and it almost always only takes 3 days to receive my order when I use the Priority mail (about $5). I hope Kratom helps you. If it doesn't you may want to give the vendor I mentioned a try before you give up on it. I have had Kratom that did not help, most likely due to the specific "batch" or vendor. I'm sure there are many other good vendors but the one I mentioned has never let me down, whereas others have. Good luck!

Also, anyone else out there that benefits from Kratom, please write my Michigan House of Representatives Health Committee (Gail Hines Chairwoman) with anecdotal accounts of how this tree has made a positive difference in your life. Although I did see the Kratom Association/Botanical Legal Defense post about the "over 18" change, I have been unable to connect to the actual document showing the change, and won't believe it until I see it or the entire bill dies on the floor... Please also write representatives of other states proposing similar legislation, you can use the same content...the hardest part is drafting that first letter!

badnights

Post by badnights »

Nellie wrote: I woke up with a big bruise on my shin -- they told me my restless legs were kicking throughout the entire procedure and I had kicked the side of the gurney hard enough to bruise.
This was quite possibly caused by a substance they put in your IV. The Foundation has a list of substances that should be avoided for WED patients in surgery, Surgery and RLS/WED (Healthcare Provider Series) Special Considerations for the Surgical Team when the patient has Restless Legs Syndrome

I thought there was a newer version of this pamphlet, with WED in the name - Maybe my link is old.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Hi SnOman,

I've been looking all over the internet and cannot find a copy of the bill with language in it that only restricts sales to minors. But I did find a couple of sites that have many interesting comments from people urging Michigan not to make it a schedule 5 drug.

https://www.change.org/p/michigan-house ... ule-5-drug

http://house.michigan.gov/sessiondocs/2 ... 8-2014.pdf

If you can give me a name and e-mail address, I'll be glad to send a note describing my experiences with kratom. I didn't read all of the comments, but I read a good many, and didn't see any mention of RLS/WED so our experiences might be a useful addition.

Hope you are still doing well.

Mary

SnOman

Post by SnOman »

Mary,
Here is a list of House Health committee members and their email addresses. Thank you so very much in advance for any support you are willing to give to help us here in Michigan.

Gail Haines (R, Chairperson), GailHaines@house.mi.gov
Mike Callton (R), MikeCallton@house.mi.gov
Hugh D. Crawford (R), HughCrawford@house.mi.gov
Bob Genetski (R), BobGenetski@house.mi.gov
Mike Shirkey (R), MikeShirkey@house.mi.gov
Frank Foster (R), FrankFoster@house.mi.gov
Tom Hooker (R), ThomasHooker@house.mi.gov
Ken Yonker (R), KenYonker@house.mi.gov
Dale Zorn (R), DaleWZorn@house.mi.gov
Joseph Graves (R), JosephGraves@house.mi.gov
Klint Kesto (R), KlintKesto@house.mi.gov
Martin Howrylak (R), MartinHowrylak@house.mi.gov

The democrats need to be contacts by following the links after the names. The email addresses did not "copy and paste"
George Darany (D), http://015.housedems.com/contact-me
David Knezek (D), http://011.housedems.com/contact-me
Kate Segal (D), http://062.housedems.com/contact-me
Thomas Stallworth (D), http://007.housedems.com/contact-me
Winnie Brinks (D), http://076.housedems.com/contact-me
Phil Cavanagh (D), http://010.housedems.com/contact-me
Phil Phelps (D), http://049.housedems.com/contact-me

George Darany is the sponsor of the bill.
The web address of the Michigan House of Representatives Health Policy Committee is:
http://house.michigan.gov/mhrpublic/com ... comkey=230

Thank You!

Also, I have found another good vendor - Nomad Botanicals

Kratom continues to work for me. I have not needed to adjust the amount I need other than up or down a gram or so based on the "batch" or specific variety. i only wish it would remain effective for a longer duration

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Yes, we need a time-released leaves :)

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Here's a copy of the letter I sent to the members of the House Health Committee in MIchigan:

I understand the Michigan is considering regulation of the herb kratom. I am hoping my story helps in your decision.

For years, I have had mild restless leg syndrome (RLS). Then, about three years ago, it started getting more and more troublesome. Two years ago I found I was only sleeping, at most, a couple of hours a night, as the RLS kept me from lying down. It’s hard to describe the sensation of severe RLS. but it really is close to torture. You are so tired, but when you try to lie down to sleep, your legs are so twitchy and uncomfortable that you just have to get up. I’ve read accounts of people actually walking into walls because RLS keeps them on their feet until they are so exhausted they actually fall asleep while walking.

A neurologist I consulted diagnosed me, and wrote me a prescription for a dopamine agonist (DA) drug. These are the drugs used for Parkinson’s Disease, and have multiple unpleasant side effects, the worst one being that they frequently cause augmentation—the RLS actually gets worse, and affects the whole body.

I tried everything non-prescription that I could find—vitamins, minerals, exercises—you name; I tried it. Finally I read about kratom, and decided I was desperate enough to try some herb I would buy on the Internet. I’ll note here that I’m a 70-year-old woman who has never even smoked pot. Actually, I’ve never even smoked cigarettes. If I have more than one glass of wine a week, that’s a big week for me. So I am far from being a druggie, looking to get high.

Kratom has been a miracle drug for me. For the last year-and-a-half, I have taken between four and six grams a day, and now sleep restfully the whole night. The wondrous thing about the drug is that I get no side effects from it at all. I’m not drowsy, and I don’t feel hung-over. I don’t feel high. I don’t feel anything; I just get relief from the RLS nightmare.

I don’t live in Michigan, although my mother is from Port Huron, and my cousin lives in Detroit. But a friend who also has RLS asked me to write a note.

If you feel the need to regulate the drug, you might make it illegal for minors to buy it. I know that kids sometimes will take large doses of it trying to get high—even though the large doses usually just make them sick.

I would be happy to talk to you more about this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm impressed! Thanks for being an advocate for something you care about.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

jul - a great proactive post.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation