AcetylCholine and L Carnitine

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
veldon75

AcetylCholine and L Carnitine

Post by veldon75 »

I started taking these supplements to restore Dopamine, has anyone tried these? There's an article you may have seen from http://www.ratracetrap.com under your brain on supplements, Brain health.

ViewsAskew

Re: AcetylCholine and L Carnitine

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've used L Carnitine in the past. No luck for me - but I didn't use it for WED/RLS. As far as I know (and my knowledge is limited), there are no acetylcholine supplements - rather you eat choline-rich foods, such as eggs, some meats, specific veggies. There might be choline supplements. Also, I do not think acetylcholine increases dopamine - it itself is a neurotransmitter. Not sure if it's implicated in any way with WED/RLS.

I think there is new research showing the L carnitine may cause heart issues. Might want to research that. Doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't take it - I haven't looked at the research to know what it says. Just remember reading that somewhere.

I didn't go to your link - my apologies. Will do later today.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Here's a direct link to the article (I found it kind of hard to find from the main page):
http://www.ratracetrap.com/the-rat-race-trap/your-brain-on-food-and-supplements-dopamine.html
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

Sorry about the link not working it's called The Rat Race or your brain on supplements, it says Choline (which I bought at Earth Fare, health foods store) and L Carnitine restores and maintains Dopamine.