Magnesium........does it help??

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pinkynose

Re: Magnesium........does it help??

Post by pinkynose »

I wish you had been my chemistry teacher Steve! That was a great explanation. I was told that info by someone I thought was credible. I agree Ann it's hard to know who or what to trust.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Steve - a great explanation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

For those not familiar with my qualifications, I am a retired metallurgist and a part time professor of chemical engineering. And magnesium is a metal as is evidenced by the 12 lb ingot that I have had in my office for many years.

I decided that bit of info was necessary since everyone keeps bringing up the unreliability of info from the Internet.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

ViewsAskew wrote:I love the internet. And, I truly dislike the internet. Anyone can sound as if they know something and people like me (who have very little knowledge of chemistry) would just believe it. I have no way to check it without a lot of research and study. Even that doesn't always help because you're not always sure exactly what to study to figure it out!

I agree, anyone can sound as though they know something which is why I doubt practically everything I read on the internet. There are a few websites that I trust (WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Dr Mirkin) but they don't tend to go into a lot of detail.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:I love the internet. And, I truly dislike the internet. Anyone can sound as if they know something and people like me (who have very little knowledge of chemistry) would just believe it. I have no way to check it without a lot of research and study. Even that doesn't always help because you're not always sure exactly what to study to figure it out!

I agree, anyone can sound as though they know something which is why I doubt practically everything I read on the internet. There are a few websites that I trust (WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Dr Mirkin) but they don't tend to go into a lot of detail.

That is one of the reasons I typically am happy to be here. While we do discuss the unproven at times, we try to differentiate. That, to me, is SO helpful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Well, Rustsmith, now your screen name makes perfect sense! :lol:

A friend is bringing me some magnesium oil to give a try. I already take magnesium orally, but he swears the oil form is more effective. Granted, he is not treating RLS/PLMD. I am curious if/how it will benefit my legs. He is using it to bring his blood pressure down, and after months of meds with limited success this is the first time he has sustained lower readings. I plan to be very methodical and document everything. Will report back if there's anything of interest to say.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c