Magnesium........does it help??

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Magnesium........does it help??

Post by Polar Bear »

It is interesting to read of your magnesium oil and I will look forward to your update. Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I read about topical Mg (actually, magnesium chloride hexahydrate) on Shawn Stevenson's health/nutrition site. I am not sure if he's blindly promoting it or well-informed, but he says there is superior absorption through the skin than the digestive tract.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I tried to find proof about the absorption claims, but there isn't much out there.

Do read this about epsom salt - very fun read. https://www.painscience.com/articles/epsom-salts.php
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann - I really enjoyed that link :)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Ann - I really enjoyed that link :)

:-D . The guy who wrote it (by sheer coincidence) is the guy who writes a lot about myofascial trigger points. I knew the style was familiar, but it wasn't until he mentioned the MTPs that I realized it was the same person (it's been a few years since I read all that he wrote about them).

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I posted either that link or a summary of what it said here before but I can't find it now.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've been using magnesium oil spray for ten days and don't see any benefit. Using ten sprays per dose.
Might up it and see if there is anything to report.
Betty

glfngrl

Post by glfngrl »

UPDATE: Still using the MG. oil in a spray suspension. I use it at night, right before bedtime, either on one hip or the other, or on my tummy (always alternating). I have been using it about 6 weeks now, and have only had one night that I had to resort to using my old dose of Requip........still successful with just .25 mg. per night. I am positive that the bad night was due to that piece of chocolate cake that I just couldn't resist! (After all, a gal has to cheat once in a while; however, the 3 hours of misery trying to get my legs under control was NOT worth it!) If I get an uncontrollable chocolate urge again, cake for breakfast.........

I have also rejoined a yoga class at my Y, and this is helping my mid-day symptoms, but still haven't gotten brave enough to titrate down on the Tramadol, although I have to diligently keep up with the time, because the symptoms do start a couple of hours later most of the time. Woe unto me if they ever get a head start. This has happened several times, and I recently discovered that instead of doing a hot bath soak, I can just do this: stand in the tub (or shower), and let the hot water run over ONLY my legs........here in the deep South, hot tub soaks in the summer time not recommended......lol.

Good rest, everyone.
Jane in Ga (glfngrl)
Give up is not in my vocabulary!!

golfgla258

Post by golfgla258 »

Interesting post! Curious...why do you rub it on your stomach if it's your legs that are restless?

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

glfngrl wrote:UPDATE: Still using the MG. oil in a spray suspension. I use it at night, right before bedtime, either on one hip or the other, or on my tummy (always alternating). I have been using it about 6 weeks now, and have only had one night that I had to resort to using my old dose of Requip........still successful with just .25 mg. per night. I am positive that the bad night was due to that piece of chocolate cake that I just couldn't resist! (After all, a gal has to cheat once in a while; however, the 3 hours of misery trying to get my legs under control was NOT worth it!) If I get an uncontrollable chocolate urge again, cake for breakfast.........

I have also rejoined a yoga class at my Y, and this is helping my mid-day symptoms, but still haven't gotten brave enough to titrate down on the Tramadol, although I have to diligently keep up with the time, because the symptoms do start a couple of hours later most of the time. Woe unto me if they ever get a head start. This has happened several times, and I recently discovered that instead of doing a hot bath soak, I can just do this: stand in the tub (or shower), and let the hot water run over ONLY my legs........here in the deep South, hot tub soaks in the summer time not recommended......lol.

Good rest, everyone.
Jane in Ga (glfngrl)

Hi Jane. I'm so glad that this is working for you. Would you please share the brand of Magnesium Oil you use and where you buy it? I use Morton's Epsom Lotion on my legs and it does help some nights. Epsom Salts baths were great for the calming effect but the hot water triggers my symptoms and I had to stop. I also wonder why you rub it in your tummy or hips. I know with things like estrogen or testosterone gels you need to rub it into places where there is fat to absorb.

golfgla258

Post by golfgla258 »

I think supplement form needs to be Magnesium Malate, as the common Magnesium supplement never gets to the receptors in the brain that affect RLS. Not all Magnesium is Malate.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Jane, could you point us to any information about why Mg Malate is better at crossing the blood-brain barrier? The chemist in me says that as soon as the pill hits the stomach and dissolves, the Mg Malate will dissociate (split) into Mg ions and malate ions, just like mag sulfate or most any other magnesium compound. Once that happens and the Mg and malate ions are adsorbed in the intestines, all you have is an increase in the Mg ion content of the blood. The saturation limit in water for Mg malate is quite high about 2grams/100 ml, so it would seem to be very difficult to have any undissociated Mg malate floating around in the blood stream.
Steve

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

I have no knowledge of the chemistry involved with Mg Malate. It is tauted to increase ATP, a molecule that provides energy to the cells. It should be taken during the day with food as the extra malic acid will increase stomach acid.

I have had some improvement with Slow-Mag which is Magnesium Chloride.(Hard to know for sure because i also take Gabapentin at night.) It is suppose to be the best form for people with GERD and because of the extra chloride must be taken with food as it will produce more HCL in the stomach. The other form I like is Magnesium Glycinate which is suppose to be the most bio-available form. The extra glycine as an amino acid supposedly helps with sleep and feeling calm but I never noticed that effect.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

A little basic chemistry seems to be in order here. Any time you dissolve a highly soluble "salt" such as magnesium maleate or magnesium chloride, the chemical completely splits into magnesium ions and either chloride ions or maleate ions in solution. The maleate and chloride ions do not increase acidity. Acidity is a measure of the hydrogen ions in solution and maleate and chloride ions are not going to influence that. However, magnesium can go through a complicated series of reactions that can increase the number of hydrogen ions and increase stomach acidity. Granted this is being a bit picky, but the magnesium is the culprit and not the maleate or chloride. This means that doses of mag maleate or mag chloride with equivalent amounts of magnesium will have similar effects on stomach acidity.

The one exception to all of this is magnesium carbonate. It just happens that carbonate ions have the opposite effect of the magnesium ions when it comes to impacting acidity, in fact they will actually reduce it a little bit. This means that magnesium carbonate acts very similar to the calcium carbonate that is the primary constituent of Tums and similar antacid products.
Steve

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for the chemistry lesson, Steve. I love the internet. And, I truly dislike the internet. Anyone can sound as if they know something and people like me (who have very little knowledge of chemistry) would just believe it. I have no way to check it without a lot of research and study. Even that doesn't always help because you're not always sure exactly what to study to figure it out!

Managing Your RLS