I think I found a cure from this message board

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Fallenarches

I think I found a cure from this message board

Post by Fallenarches »

Greetings: I am a new member here, but a long-time RLS sufferer. Actually, it was only recently that I discovered what I really had. For the past few years my endocrinologist has tried to get me to increase my thyroid dose. I've had hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) for decades. Yet every time I tried increasing the dose, even by something as small as 6 mcg, I would have terrible insomnia and end up typing him a letter at 3 am, complaining that the increased medication was keeping me up. Meanwhile he told me my body was "crying out for more thyroid medication." Too bad; I was crying out for more sleep.

Then one night I noticed my toes doing a little "dance" under the covers. It looked like Mexican jumping beans, something that those over 50 might remember. I realized that my left leg, particularly, was twitching and tugging and excruciatingly annoying. I also wondered why at times I would have to get up from the sofa and put the cushions on the floor. Even that wasn't comfortable so I'd end up lying on the floor--but not for long. It dawned on me that I had RLS. I have a sister who would complain mightily about this and her inability to sleep. LIke many people I'd give her suggestions, such as "Try a little progesterone cream, etc." She "cured" herself with a prescription for Ambien, the sleeping pill, which she has to take every night, year after year. After trying dozens of over the counter products and home remedies, I read on this site about a woman who helped her husband whose legs would spasm uncontrollably. What cured him was taurine and GABA. Well, like her I bought some on Swanson's. I can't believe it, but it's been working for me. I take one of each (along with the melatonin and magnesium). If I awaken, I'll take another Taurine and GABA. My orthopedic surgeon, who I'm seeing for spinal stenosis, said there's some basis in GABA. Needless to say, I wish I could see the original post that I read. I'd love to thank that woman for her helpful input. Prior to that I'd be online at 4 am buying anything that offered relief, and most of it didn't. This is a wonderful message board. We're helping each other because we know what it's like to lie awake in frustration at 4 am. You will take anything! Good luck, all.

ViewsAskew

Re: I think I found a cure from this message board

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope this continues to work for you for a long time. Looks like you had a tough time coming up for a word to replace "cure." We like to think of is as remission or successful treatment. None of us are ever cured - someday maybe!

For anyone interested in the evidence related to this, there isn't much - there isn't much related to anything non-pharma, unfortunately. Here is a good overview of GABA: http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/GABA.html. Taurine is an amino acid and several members have had success in reducing their symptoms when using some amino acids (usually a formula that contains several) http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... me=taurine
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The original post you read is probably this one: viewtopic.php?p=75233#p75233

Another person using a similar taurine+GABA combo successfully: viewtopic.php?p=29609#p29609

And a person with adrenal issues using a similar combosuccessfully: viewtopic.php?p=67676#p67676

I've got to get me some of that stuff and try it out.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

justwantsleep

Post by justwantsleep »

Would you please share your dosage amounts for the GABA and taurine? I've read that a GABA side effect is flushing and tingling. Did you experience any of those?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It might help to take the links Beth provided above to see what those people did. If you are familiar with taking links, please ignore the following. If are not, slide your mouse over one of the viewtopic.php (and so on) in the post above mine. It should turn red and will appear underlined. Click on it. That will open a that topic and you can read about what other people have done. There are three links in Beth's post, all taking you to a different topic.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Fallenarches

Post by Fallenarches »

Hi: I'm sorry this response is so late in coming. I thought I'd be informed when I had a reply. The amount of Taurine I take is one 1,000 mg capsule. As for the Gaba, I take one of those as well. I don't know the dosage because I've run out and have to order from Swanson's. Gaba is known to be very calming.

MariS

Post by MariS »

Regarding Taurine + GABA = do you take any prescription meds such as the ones I take: Gabapentin, Depakote, and Clonazepam? I will have to research and see if these can be used at the same time. Does anyone know? My prescription meds no longer work, I have tried other prescription meds but have an adverse reaction to them. It would be wonderful to get a full nights sleep.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have used it and it has not helped me. That doesn't mean it won't help anyone else - just leveling this that many of these seem to help only a subset of us and we do not know why, yet.

MariS - there are calculators online that help you determine if there are known interactions between medicines, herbs, supplements, etc. If you go to a search engine and type in, "interaction checker" you will get several of them. I usually check more than one of these just to make sure.

Managing Your RLS