Research related to amino acids

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Research related to amino acids

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have not read this in detail and skimming isn't an option unless you're in the medical field. (At least not for me!). The gist, I think, is that this doctor claims that nutritional deficiencies are key in WED (and many other diseases). And that many treatments make these deficiencies worse. He advocates specific amino acids to help. Some of them are ones people here have used successfully. He uses specific definitions of the words nutrient and drug and makes the point that many substances can cause harm and we don't realize they are causing abnormal system performance (with optimal or normal performance meaning that the body is working as it should).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3355850/

And his Website - he's giving away all the info, which I find refreshing! (it's a bit hard to follow on his site - he's primarily providing a data dump for those who can decipher it)

http://new.neurosciencemyths.com/
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Re: Research related to amino acids

Post by Yankiwi »

This could be interesting (if I could understand it) but rls is only mentioned once, to say patients with it hadn't been tested.
Excluded from the data were patients suffering severe postsynaptic dopamine injury, such as Parkinson’s disease and restless leg syndrome.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:This could be interesting (if I could understand it) but rls is only mentioned once, to say patients with it hadn't been tested.
Excluded from the data were patients suffering severe postsynaptic dopamine injury, such as Parkinson’s disease and restless leg syndrome.

Thanks for finding that!

Hmmm - I wonder why? Because it didn't work????

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bird

Post by bird »

Another web site: http://www.steinorthopedic.com/ mentions some of the information in the research paper cited in the previous post. It seems like it takes 2-5 days of testing with urinalysis to find a "balanced" level of amino acids listed. Then you have to take specific amounts at precise times to be effective or you have to start over.

I'm not clear then what the ongoing procedure would be once you have found your individual balance. Has anyone taken this amino acid treatment or know of anyone who has? The testimonials given at the web site above are not too convincing for me. It appears that $20 per dose is charged among other costs and none is covered by Medicare.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I tried to follow the protocol for myself, based on what was given in the original results but I couldn't get any tests, of course, so had no idea of my levels. I didn't see any change. It was hard to get some of the supplements in the stated form, too, so in at least one case, had to make a substitute (which could have invalidated the whole thing).

Managing Your RLS