Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by Polar Bear »

Informative post - Will be interested to note your progress.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you -
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Thanks! I'll check these out.

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

Thank you for all this great information! A note on storing MM products: According to "Cannabis Pharmacy" by Michael Baches in the chapter "Storing Cannabis," tinctures need to be refrigerated. However baked goods like cookies should be kept in the freezer to keep them from growing mold. :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is such a great thread for folks getting started on this path. Nice that so many have shared what they know.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Thanks for the tips, Pinkynose! I should have known that since I have that book, I'll check out that chapter again! :)

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

Have any of you tried an edible and ended up with the pain removed but unable to sleep? This is a worry of mine as I am not a good sleeper. Also, if you use a tincture that is high CBD low THC for sleep are you hung over the next day?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Pinkynose, my experience with a 10mg edible (dark chocolate/coconut) was that it dramatically improved my sleep. I tried reducing my gabapentin dose and had problems getting to sleep that night, so I looked at the MM as supplementing my normal meds. I also tried reducing my DA (Neupro) one day and had to supplement it that night the regain control. However, one evening I was starting to get RLS symptom breakthrough around 8PM and the MM resolved the problems almost immediately.

My conclusion after a week long test was that it was a great supplement to my normal meds, but that the minimum dose that I was testing was not sufficient to replace either my DA or my alpha-2-delta meds. More MM might have allowed me to reduce them, but I ran out of vacation time.

As for sleep, since going on gabapentin I can normally fall asleep easily. My problem is that I wake up between 1 and 4A and cannot go back to sleep. With the MM, I actually go to sleep past sunrise for the first time in over a year. What a surprise to see sunlight outside the window of our hotel room.
Steve

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi Pinkynose, I found that one time when I took the tincture at around 4:00 am I did wake up with kind of a hangover, but it was gone as soon as I had some coffee. That particular tincture has an ethanol base, which is 150 proof alcohol, so I think that's what it was. Now I don't take it past midnight or maybe 1:00 am. However, I think it's the alcohol that caused that reaction. The tincture with the glycerine base never did that. And so far the edibles (home made cookies) are working well, I've been eating 2 of them around 8:00 pm. I'm actually going to bake another batch today and make each cookie a little stronger. I think a lot could depend on the variety of mm being used in the recipe. Some varieties tend to energize rather than subdue. I'm using Black Dahlia in the recipe right now, but plan to try some others. Oregon 90, Blue Haze, and White Berry are supposed to be really good for rls.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi Rustsmith, glad to hear you had some good results with some of the things you tried. When I first started using MM I found that just a couple of hits on the vapor pen and I was good for the night. After about 4 months I began to have recurring symptoms around 1:00 am that would wake me up. I've recently found that if I eat a couple of MM cookies around 8:00 pm, it takes about 4 hours for them to get into my system, and it goes to work right around the time my symptoms would occur. So that's been working well. As I told Pinkynose, I'm going to try some different varieties in the cookies and increase the per/cookie dosage so I can just eat one. Lately, I've been getting about 8 hours of sleep. I never did that with the Mirapex. So even though I still get symptoms occasionally, it's much less than with the Mirapex, where I would just get up at 4:00 am and not even try to go back to sleep, and I'd have augmentation all day long. That's gone now.

corynski

Post by corynski »

Great discussion y'all, I certainly appreciate all the input. My experience with THC dominant mj (I'm assuming) was that the outcome was often unpredictable. Sometimes when I had a lot of tension and headache it would allow me to relax, lose the headache and tension and begin functioning again, while other times it would increase the tension and worry, and I became even more anxious. But that was not a medicinal mj, and I had no idea what it was composed of.

I've looked for information regarding whether it is the CBD or the THC, and what percentages, that works best in RLS situations, but there is so little research done yet. I'm sure there will be, eventually. I'll bet there are a lot of researchers out there who have RLS......

Peace.....

charley
"The real, the deepest, the sole theme of the world and of history, to which all other themes are subordinate, remains the conflict of belief and unbelief." -- Johann Wolfgang Goethe

corynski

Post by corynski »

Great discussion y'all, I certainly appreciate all the input. My experience with THC dominant mj (I'm assuming) was that the outcome was often unpredictable. Sometimes when I had a lot of tension and headache it would allow me to relax, lose the headache and tension and begin functioning again, while other times it would increase the tension and worry, and I became even more anxious. But that was not a medicinal mj, and I had no idea what it was composed of.

I've looked for information regarding whether it is the CBD or the THC, and what percentages, that works best in RLS situations, but there is so little research done yet. I'm sure there will be, eventually. I'll bet there are a lot of researchers out there who have RLS......

Peace.....

charley
"The real, the deepest, the sole theme of the world and of history, to which all other themes are subordinate, remains the conflict of belief and unbelief." -- Johann Wolfgang Goethe

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

NatWest wrote:Hi Pinkynose, I found that one time when I took the tincture at around 4:00 am I did wake up with kind of a hangover, but it was gone as soon as I had some coffee. That particular tincture has an ethanol base, which is 150 proof alcohol, so I think that's what it was. Now I don't take it past midnight or maybe 1:00 am. However, I think it's the alcohol that caused that reaction. The tincture with the glycerine base never did that. And so far the edibles (home made cookies) are working well, I've been eating 2 of them around 8:00 pm. I'm actually going to bake another batch today and make each cookie a little stronger. I think a lot could depend on the variety of mm being used in the recipe. Some varieties tend to energize rather than subdue. I'm using Black Dahlia in the recipe right now, but plan to try some others. Oregon 90, Blue Haze, and White Berry are supposed to be really good for rls.

NatWest I'm so pleased the cookies are working for you. I agree it is so dependent on the variety of mm used so please do keep us informed on your research.

Rustsmith I am so happy for you getting a reprieve from your symptoms and being able to see sunrise when you wake in the morning instead of dark! Happy memories :D

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Hey Guys--- im new to this forum. Im struggling with meds for the last 4 years... I tried mmj 4 years ago but had too much th in the formula plus I thought my sleep apnea was cured by surgery... This time I want to try it again with my cpap machine... I have family in pueblo colorado that will help too...I'm going to stay there for a month in jan2016. I have compacted discs also causing havock with pain at night so I'm hoping this can fix this issue also... My question to the forum is how do you feel the next day if this is making you sleep good the night thru.. All the meds that have made me sleep good gave me terrible hangovers and crazy side effects the next day.... Any recomendation where to have my family member go in colorado--- he does have a mmj card.....Am I alone when I say I want to feel normal the next day???? im 56 years old and would love to enjoy life again....I live in GA but would be willing to move to another state to feel better... Currently on .5requipp 300mg gabapentin 100mg trazadone and recently loratab for dental work....requipp had augmented in the past but my doc reassures me this time is different