Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Orrel

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by Orrel »

Hi Crazy Joe. How much Klonopin were you on? As I said, right now I am only on .375 mg. I was only on
.50 mg. of pram for 7 years. I transitioned to 2 mg. Neupro patch in Nov.2014 after augmenting on the pram.
Soon augmented on the patch. With the help of a local neuro, I stopped the patch 7 weeks ago and am now
d.a. free. Thank God. At the height of augmentation and withdrawal I felt as if someone were poking me
with a cattle prod. I am so much better now. Whatever RLS activity I have now, while unpleasant, is
nothing compared to what I had at the height of augmentation and withdrawal. If you are on a d.a. try to
get off. It's not very easy, but it can be done without an opioid. It's the hardest thing I ever did.
But the payoff is worth it. Short term pain for long term gain. You have to have a doctor who understands
RLS, especially augmentation. If not, he/she will probably keep increasing your D.A. which is
like giving a heroin addict more heroin. It helps for a time but ends up making the situation far worse.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

I was on 1mg-------orrell you trying mmj? You have any other suggestions for meds in the meantime for sleep???? before i get to colorado....

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

How come every state that has made mmj possible for so many ailments but never for rls......It seems to be working for alot of people.....In GA it only lists 8 different ailments but not rls.....what has to change for us to get help?????????????????????????? :roll:

Orrel

Post by Orrel »

Hi CJ I have tried MMJ but the clinic that issued me the permit to use it
only deals with one supplier. I got their strain that was high in cbd and very
low in thc. It didn't do a thing for me but I was at the height of augmentation,
so it might not have been the best scenario to try it. I may give it another go.
The very best strains for RLS are evidently Oregon 90 and Lemon Haze but I
was told they are not available here in Canada. Check them out on Google.
Look at Nat West's posting for August 19/15. He gives a more complete list.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi Orrel,

You are correct that when you are having severe augmentation (or major symptoms due to withdrawal) mm cannot completely eliminate those symptoms. I took mm while I was tapering off of Mirapex, and I spent hours each night pacing around due to severe rls symptoms, but once I was totally off, and symptoms were back to normal, the mm was much more effective. I just picked up a cartridge of Cannatonic this morning to try.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi crazy joe,

I'd be willing to bet that something you have, other than rls, might qualify you for one of those 8 ailments. Once you have your card you can buy whatever you want. At least, it's that way here.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

In Illinois, almost no one can qualify for every day ailments - it's reserved for severe illnesses. They only allow treatment for disorders where MM is proven in research. But no research was allowed for years, so it's almost a catch-22.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Same here in bible belt GA......Last time I weaned off the requipp I actually slept better....Once I was off it I did feel like i lost my edge... Thats when i went on the gabapentin... That med just made me dull and didnt take away my rls... Anyone ever have ankle pains with the mmj.the next morning/day?....This seems to be a good barometer for me if my ankles are in pain the next day i probably had plmd.... I'm not a doc but thats what im assuming...thoughts please?/// also are there any bills in congress to legalize mmj?

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Just googled mmj for treatment for rls--- sanja gupta---- recommends power kush for rls....

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's so hard to know with pain - could be anything, just about, that caused it....or nothing. Some people with severe PLMS do say their legs are sore the next day - mine never were, but it also may be related to what part of your leg moves. As I understand it, there is a flexion of a joint and this causes the movement. It's held for a moment, then released. They repeat regularly - like every few seconds to every 20 seconds or so. Yhis flexion can happen at the ankle, the knee, or the hip. I think I flex from the knee - I used to kick my partner in his calf.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Maybe this is why I dont go into deep sleep... Wonder if mmj will knock that out.....although I do get 4-5 hrs straight thru these nights i cant remember if Im dreaming....On 50mg of trazadone, 1 loratab and .5 requipp.... Just went back on requipp last month.... was upto 2mg 3 months ago....the loratab is only 4 days and so is the trazadone....

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

There's a web site called leafly.com which is all about mj, it's referenced as "The World's Cannabis Information Resource." Some of you may find it helpful and it may possibly answer some of your questions. There's a leafly app that can be downloaded to smart phones and tablets. I haven't checked it out yet, but picked up some info about it at the dispensary yesterday so thought I'd share it.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Thank you Natwest... Been difficult last 4 days... Gabapentin/caffiene w/ds.... depression, spasms in legs/confusion/exhaustion.... took loratab with requipp last night--- slept app 5 hrs.....probably nothing can heal it but time---- good news however--- my cousin said his wife uses trainwreck----and he told me that unlike last time there is 10mg of each serving so that you dont over do it like I did last time I was there....She takes the trainwreck for anxiety and back pain and migraines.... I'm very hopeful---- booking my trip for jan 12th.....

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Good morning, crazy joe,

I had a chance to visit leafly yesterday evening, and found that there is a lot of info there. One article focused on coming changes for several states' mj laws, including adding additional conditions which qualify for mm in some states, and Florida will be voting on adding recreational mj next year. Also, you can order hemp based products online, including Charlotte's Web. So this may be a good resource in a number of ways. Yes, I highly recommend trainwreck varieties (there are several), and I'm finding that Black Dahlia is working really, really well in my edibles. Subdues symptoms and lets me sleep soundly. Still fine tuning the timing for each dose, but very pleased with results I'm getting. And still going to try more of the ones on that list as I can find them available.

corynski

Post by corynski »

Greetings All

It sounds like progress being made..... very encouraging. If I were to say RLS is a 'devilish' illness I'm sure all would understand me. Well, for whatever reason lately I've been waiting longer, lingering in the so, so beautiful summer evenings, sometimes until 10 or 11 before I take Mirapex and mmj and a tramadol, and I have had to pay the price for it. The first leg tremor, the first jerk is already too late, I'm stuck with RLS until my medicine kicks in, maybe an hour or more. So lately I've started taking the meds around 6 or 7 pm and that covers me all night, whatever time I go to sleep. And I will say again, and again, what good luck I've had with Mirapex, a miraculous medicine that has worked for 20 plus years now for my moderate RLS. And I say moderate simply because it hasn't progressed, it's the same as way back then. I have gone from 0.25 mg up to 1.0 mg dosage, so there has been some change, but I know it could be much worse. My heavy drinking in my 30's brought on a neuropathy in my feet, and right leg mostly, so I want to ask "can the RLS be brought on with alcohol" does anyone know? I had never even heard of neuropathy and my parents were heavy alcoholics ....
"The real, the deepest, the sole theme of the world and of history, to which all other themes are subordinate, remains the conflict of belief and unbelief." -- Johann Wolfgang Goethe