Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
badnights

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by badnights »

Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Thank you bad nights... At least i can track my bad sleep.....Just switched over from requipp to mirapex .125 at 8 pm then .125 at 10pm....Was hard to sleep with.... Not sedating.....I think it did control rls/plmd although but slept only 3 hrs... Even took flexerall for pain last night....got bad hangover this morning with no sleep....traveling first week of october to mmj state....

badnights

Post by badnights »

I just don't have a lot of faith in the DAs for people who are not getting relief...

The sleep issue is interesting, it's a problem quite separate from the aberrant sensations. It's very real, but in the literature you hardly see it mentioned. Just the Johns Hopkins glutamate study and a couple of other sources I know of. Mostly, the hyper-alertness is written off as a "bad habit" developed in pre-treatment days.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Hey Guys----body twitches in the upper torso area all night long..didnt sleep at all. I took .125 mirapex and .5 requipp before bed... I also took 5htp, magnesium, gaba, potassium, 99mg, vitamin d supplement hylands restful legs and nothing helped..They have helped in the past.... In May I was upto 2mg of requipp and had a couple of bad nights due to taking L-dopa supplement and thought I was having augmentation... Requipp was ok but I felt i always had to take something to help with my rls.... last night I had a small cup of cereal before bed.... I have been sober almost 12 years and dont want to go onto opiods, morphine or anything that gives me a extreme side effects... I reahed out to my cousin in colorado which has ALS to see if I can see him sooner than later... I also have booked an appt with a doc Allen Frankel in Santa Monica Oct 2nd if my cousin can see me... Im desperate.....I have methadone and opiods at my disposal but am very scared to take them long term.....

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

I think you should consult with a neurologist who understands rls, there should be a list of them on the rls web site. Taking so many different drugs at one time could be dangerous, and could make your rls worse. Medical Marijuana isn't strong enough to overcome withdrawal symptoms, and there's really no point in taking it until the other drugs are completely out of your system. MM is not a miracle drug, and isn't going to help everyone. When it comes to rls, it's not going to work if you're taking it on top of other drugs--that would just be a waste of your time and money. I would meet with a neurologist, tell them everything you are taking, how often, how much, and let them help you work out a plan using a medication that's readily available to you. The goal should be finding relief. I wish you the best as you work through this.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Tell neuro why you fear addiction and ask what you can do about it. It might help if you're aware that a lot of us (most of us?? but not all) don't feel any euphoria or high after taking opioids. Only feel a cessation of symptoms.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Thank you badnights and natwest....Taking too much supplements indeed....

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Hey guys, booked trip to California...seeing dr Hanya Barth in San Francisco, going to a spiritual retreat, Mr Cole a cannabis chemist, and maybe Dr Mark Bucheyer.....There also is a rls meeting in Santa Monica....A childhood friend that runs a spiritual resort is helping me....will have a mmj card when I get off the plane....

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Wow, sounds like it's way easier to get a mm card in CA than it is in Oregon. Hope everything goes smoothly for you, and you are not disappointed.

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

It takes about an hour to get a mm card in Cali. It's not cheap. I think it was $175 for a year.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

From what I can tell, it takes several months to go through the process of getting a card in Colorado (and I hope that I am wrong on that) and you must first establish Colorado residency. Of course, with recreational shops available, the primary benefits of a mm card are that you can obtain and legally posses larger quantities, the higher CBD products appear to preferentially go to the mm shops rather than the recreational ones, and the taxes on mm are far lower than on recreational products.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

It takes a couple of months in Oregon. From initially filling out the forms, and submitting your medical records to prove you qualify, then getting an appointment scheduled with a certified mm physician, then submitting the forms to the state with a check for $200. I think it took me about 6 weeks, but they tell you to plan on 2 months. And yes, you also have to prove you are a resident. So it's probably more like CO than CA.

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

You have to show proof you are a resident in CA. At least that was what I was told when I called to set up an appointment.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

pinkynose, let us know how it goes!

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Hey Guys... I want to ask this to you guys for a question. I know we have an ugh disease but for the ones that are taking mmj for treatment are you kinda enjoying the medicine? I know if i didnt take anything that would be great but of all the medicines Ive been on none have given my that feel good relief,,,,, I did talk with one lady that is still working and she is taking cbd during the day to cope with stress and be more focused and all she is telling me is she is happy and not worried about the progression of this disease. Would love to hear your comments. I just want to hear hope since Ive had a very bad journey with meds for the last 5 years. Thank you.... 2weeks to California....