Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
NatWest

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by NatWest »

Hi Steve,

That's pretty annoying that some prohibitionists who want to end recreational sales in your county. We have people like that in some of our more rural counties, but I guarantee that if it were put to a vote in those counties, there are more who'd want to keep it. We even had it happen in a small town about 10 miles to the north of us. An historically designated victorian house had been approved as a dispensary, and a resident tried to set it on fire to prevent that from happening! Fortunately, he was caught on a surveillance camera ... and the fire did very minor damage.

I have confidence that the "pro" residents will win this one, I just think it's the inevitable way of the future. And yes, there are certainly many more dangerous things out there. It's been my observation that the same people against this are ignorant on a lot of other issues as well. My feeling is, if you are against it, then don't use it, but don't try to restrict the lives of others. I could say a couple of other things here, but I'm going to restrain myself! :)

Let us know how it goes, I feel confident the prohibitionists will not win this one.

Peggy

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Here is the latest on my MMJ experiment.

The 50-50 THC/CBD tincture did not provide very much help for my sleep issues or my moods. After two nights, I realized that the tincture was being adsorbed very quickly, which means that it was providing the same effect as my gabapentin. I was forgetting that I have been using the edible THC for time delay effect of the edibles. So, I started cutting my 10 mg THC gummy bears into quarters instead of halves. I have now been on 2.5mg of THC at bedtime for almost a week. It is providing almost as much help with extending my hours of sleep. As for its effect on my moods, I now feel confident that the long term use of 5 to 10 mg was responsible for my depression AND that the exhilarated view on life that I have had for the last week is the anti-depression effect that was described in the paper that I referenced in my note in this thread on August 1. It is amazing that I have gone from depression so deep that it was approaching suicidal levels to a constant almost euphoric happiness. I have relied upon running to fight depression for the last 25 years and now find that low dose THC is a far more effective way to elevate my moods.

As an illustration of how I have been feeling, I didn't even flinch when my wife told me that the price for the window treatments that she wants for our new place was going to cost more than $7k. I just smiled and said "Okay, if that's what you want. I'll find the money."

Now I can only hope that this continues and doesn't somehow turn around to bite me - again!
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if I should try cutting my MM dose. I take 10-20mg per day, doing very well, but don't want depression UGH. Many people use 50mg or more and I was thinking that 20mg was a modest dose, but maybe not.
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Holland, my dosing may not be the greatest of guides. My methadone dose is the smallest dose available, 5mg (unless I break them in half). I tried going up just a half of a pill to 7.5mg, but had to drop back due to side effects (feeling a bit loopy) and had to change the time of day in order to control of my movement issues. I have spoken with several neurologists since I started methadone and both were surprised that I was not taking at least 10mg.

I don't know if this is due to my size (5'10" and 140lbs) or something about my metabolism that allows me to remain this size no matter how much I eat, but that also sometimes makes me sensitive to other medications.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

What kind of vapes do you all have? Is there a different "vape" for nicotine than MM?
So much confusing information!
jy13131

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi jy13131,

I'm not familiar with vapes for nicotine, so can't answer that part of your question. The dispensaries here all sell the vapor pens for MJ. They're not expensive, anywhere from $7 to $20, most are around $10. I know that for a while only those with a medical card could purchase them, but I think now anyone over 21 can, since I have some friends who are recreational users who now have them. You could try going to your dispensary's web site, or Leafly and see what's available in your area. :)

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thanks! Yes I have been on those sites but I trust my RLS buddies. I know someone in this thread said they used the Pax I think. That is a good one, but more pricey than I am looking to spend at the moment.
jy13131

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Clear Path is my favorite right now, and was recommended to me at the dispensary, wasn't sure if you were looking for a brand name ......

yawny

Post by yawny »

Hi jy13131,
I have the Pax 2 vaporizer and love it. I have very limited experience since my first time trying marijuana was this past year. I have a $30 vaporizer and the expensive Pax 2 ($280) and the difference is night and day. I had a horrible experience with the cheaper one where it felt like I burnt my lungs and my lungs hurt for about a week. But it's possible I inhaled improperly! Not sure and really don't want to try again to see. The Pax 2 provides really smooth inhales. What helped me make the purchase after seeing the high price tag was hearing the medical dispensary employee (a guy they consider their most knowledgable employee) explain they had researched the market and this vaporizer is one of the least abrasive to your throat and lungs. They had one other vaporizer he considered even better but it cost $500 so I felt like I was getting a deal getting the cheaper one at $280! (Sometimes you have to find some sort of rationalization when you're shopping). :D

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Hi, I am considering a move west, and would like to settle near Carson City, NV. Can anyone share their resulting experience with the MM program in Nevada? The wording isn't as inclusive as CA. It appears that the state "Division" would have the right to decide if RLS is included. Can anyone here say for certain?
Thanks

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Rustsmith wrote:Holland, my dosing may not be the greatest of guides. My methadone dose is the smallest dose available, 5mg (unless I break them in half). I tried going up just a half of a pill to 7.5mg, but had to drop back due to side effects (feeling a bit loopy) and had to change the time of day in order to control of my movement issues. I have spoken with several neurologists since I started methadone and both were surprised that I was not taking at least 10mg.

I don't know if this is due to my size (5'10" and 140lbs) or something about my metabolism that allows me to remain this size no matter how much I eat, but that also sometimes makes me sensitive to other medications.

Hi Steve, We really do have a lot in common. I'm certain that my methadone dose is causing increased depression. I take 5mg along with as much as 15mg oxymorphone (began to help elleviate dizziness, nausea, loopiness, etc). I still experience these. I too seem to experience many side-effects and hope to try the MM soon.
My biggest question is, How are the effects of MM compare to the methadone/opiod side-effects, for you? The anti-depressant effects alone would make it worthwhile for me. Has it helped with any of the delayed sleep onset that we spoke about? I'm guessing if it doesn't that it can at least increase sleep quality.
It really sucks when I can't fall asleep till after 2am and then two hrs later or less symptoms start up.
Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Thanks!

Jayson

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Jayson, I really haven't noticed any side effects from the low dose of methadone that I am taking. I notice a feeling of happiness an hour or two after taking it, but that is about it.
As for the MM, I am not using it in a low dose (3 to 5mg THC) and limit myself to 3 to 5 nights/week. I found that the THC was slowly building up in my system over a period of months when I was taking 5-10mg each day. I had an episode in July when the THC when from being an antidepressant to a major depressant. It caused me to go into a near suicidal depression. Fortunately, stopping it for a couple of days lifted the cloud over my head and I returned to normal.
As for sleeping, I also take 900 mg of gabapentin 30 min before bedtime. I have found that the gabapentin allows me to fall asleep almost immediately. However, the half life of gabapenin is about 4 hrs, so I was waking up about 4 hrs later. The edible MM doesn't kick in for about 2 hrs after eating it, so it allows me to sleep later and I don't wake up until I get about 6.5 to 7 hrs of sleep. When I wake up in the morning there is a slight dizziness that I associate with the "hangover" effect of the MM, but that is about it. I am also sleeping longer on the nights that I do not (or cannot use like when traveling) take the MM. I think that this probably has something to do with my body working through the long term buildup of THC.
Finally, I do not notice that the MM has had any effect on my RLS movement issues. On the bad nights when my RLS kicks in and wakes my after 30 to 60 minutes of sleep, it doesn't matter if it was a MM night or not. I am up and soaking in a hot tub regardless of the meds that I have taken that day.
Steve

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Thanks Steve, sounds like there is an adjustment phase. So you are still taking methadone, also? Has the MM helped with the usual disconfort associated with urges to move?

Thanks

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I expect to be on methadone for the rest of my life unless something else becomes available. As for the MM, its only effect is to help me sleep. I have not seen any help with the discomfort associated with the urge to move. But since my RLS is equal parts insomnia and the urge to move and the methadone does nothing for my insomnia, the MM is an important tool in my bag of tricks to handle my RLS.
Steve

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Thanks for sharing.