Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by ViewsAskew »

Steve, that is great news! I truly can't wait to try. I wonder if I stayed in Cali for a couple weeks this fall if I could do the same. Dr B is willing to give me a script. I like that idea.

For me, the gabapentin works exceptionally well initially. So well, that for hours after I finally drag myself out of bed, I'm a zombie. I walked into a door the other day, got my hand stuck in our gate and have a huge bruise, and have bruises on my leg and arm - but can't remember how I got them.

But, within a few days, it works less well. By the two week period, it doesn't keep me asleep (very broken) but I'm still groggy. So, I take breaks from it and go through that cycle over and over. I'd love something that worked ALL the time and allowed me to feel functional within a short time of waking - not hours and hours.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Many years ago I suffered excruciating migraines.
On one occasion I was in hospital 'fasting' awaiting surgery at 8am and got hit by a migraine. The surgery kept getting set back because of emergencies. The ward staff would not give me anything for relief because of the pending surgery. At 1pm I agonisingly got out of the bed and started to dress to go home. Staff took heed, the anaesthetist arrived to speak with me, and I was in theatre within a half hour.
My point is that I am agreeing with Rustsmith on the inhumane torture of a migraine - --- as I touch wood for luck... because I haven't had a migraine now for about 12 years. Which incidentally is around about the time I started medication for RLS/WED.

I am so excited that you are all having such success with these edibles (totally unavailable here in N. Ireland).
At present I am in a very bad spell where my RLS/WED symptoms are crazy, very much into my arms and shoulders and have been for many years but deciding to up the ante at present.
Amongst my ailments I have osteoarthritis and this week suffered for the first time a painful attack of gout. Pain was horrendous, think like a migraine. So, walking because of RLS but with a 'foot migraine'. Can't rest the 'foot migraine' because of RLS !! An emergency appointment with the doctor provided a course of treatment and within about 8 hours there was relief. Medication inself is rather upsetting with nausea. And I am wondering if it in some way is interacting with my RLS meds..... that is just a straw I'm clutching.... in reality I feel the need to take my Restless Leg Book with me and throw myself at the feet of my GP begging his help. This morning is the first time in several days I've been able to sit at my PC comfortably and pay it some attention. Today, at the moment, I feel much better.

I'm working on about 3 hours broken sleep per night......... for years. My osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia makes me feel that I have been climbing mountains, daily.
Rustsmith, you mention taking Gabapentin for sleep and I want to ask my GP about this. As a supplement for sleep perhaps in place of Zopiclone which does not/has never been of much help. The next day sleepyness sounds pretty heavy, particularly if ViewsAskew has injured herself (and Views is a pretty experienced taker of meds). However, I could take it just a couple of nights per week for blessed rest.

This sounds like a hikejack of this thread and sounds a bit of a ramble.
It is not meant to be so and I'm not seeking sympathy.
It is a background story of my present desperation to indicate that I would use these edibles that you are discussing. Something I never ever thought I'd hear myself say. They are not legal in UK but believe me, if I knew where to get my hands on them locally I wouldn't be giving a toss about the legalities of it.
That may sound irresponsible for a mid 60s lady.... :crazy:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The results of the final day of testing where I reduced my Neupro dose from 4mg to 3mg can only be described as mixed. When it came time to try the MM before going to bed, I had been experiencing mild RLS symptoms for several hours. Once I took it (along with my full dose of gabapentin), the RLS went away. But it returned with a vengeance about 30 minutes later. The RLS was starting to ramp up toward severe levels, so I finally had to give in take 0.25mg pramipexole to cover for the reduced Neupro. I was finally able to get to sleep about 30 minutes later. But once again, with the addition of MM to my "normal" RLS meds allowed me another night with 6.6 hrs of unbroken, refreshing sleep.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Polar Bear,

Good morning. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us. I think we all benefit from hearing what others are experiencing. I also have osteoarthritis and have suffered from migraines. At the present, I actually do not suffer because I've found treatments that really work--for me, anyway--so I'll share them in case the information might be of benefit to you. I've had migraines since the early 90s. They would occur any time I ate or drank something containing sulfites. My doctor gave me a prescription for Imitrex, which I always keep around, though actually don't take more than once or twice a year. I do read all labels carefully, looking for things like sodium bi-sulfite, and avoid all foods in restaurants containing wine, balsamic vinegar, etc. It has worked for me.

I also have osteoarthrits in my left hip and knee, which I've had since 1998 when I competed in the Office Park Oympics where I worked. (In retrospect, I should have skipped it, but at the time there was no way I would have done that.) About a year ago I tried hyaluronic acid capsules, 2 a day in the morning, and within 3-4 days my pain was starting to disappear. I continue to take them every day. Occasionally, I will apply a pain balm to my knee, or take an Aleve, but 90% of the time I have no pain at all.

I don't know if either of these suggestions will be helpful to you, but thought I'd toss them out there.

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Steve,

Thanks for the update! I know the transition off of prescription meds can be the hardest part of trying something new. I came to the conclusion last night that the edible MM I purchased on Friday does not work for rls. But I've come across a cookie recipe which I've heard is very effective, so going to try that today. If it works, I'll share the recipe.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

NatWest - thank you, I am happy to look at any suggestions tossed my way :)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PB - so sorry you are having so much trouble. It sounds miserable to have all of that going on.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Views - thank you, today has been better. It was as if, for a few days, everything decided to go party.
Sometimes it feels as though we are throwing buns to a bear and hoping that some stick (with regard to medication).
I certainly understood the meaning of desperation and am very glad that our Discussion Board is available to just vent and know that there are those who understand, and to read about such as edibles and the experience of those who are trying and testing the benefits or otherwise.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, I think it's time for you to take a trip to visit your son. I believe that edibles and other such things are not hard to get where he lives :-).

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There is a 'cafe' in a street nearby to him. When we were there last year I didn't understand what it was about.
We hope to go over next year.
Are prescriptions or such required?
Hmmm... don't know that my son would approve :roll: he'd be thinking that mum had lost the plot.
Betty

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Polar Bear, in the states where recreational marijuana has become legal (Washington, Colorado and Oregon), there are medical dispensaries and there are recreational shops. In order to go to the medical shops you generally need a state issued card. But anyone (over 18 or 21) can go to a recreational shop. The difference between the two is the volume you can purchase with each visit, the prices and to a degree the levels of THC and CBD available in their products. From what I have seen in Colorado, the higher CBD products are preferentially going to the medical shops because the recreational shops always seem to be sold out of anything except for the higher THC products.
But I would definitely recommend trying it, even if you son thinks mum has lost her mind. You would have little to lose and potentially lots to gain.
Steve

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

Polar Bear wrote:There is a 'cafe' in a street nearby to him. When we were there last year I didn't understand what it was about.
We hope to go over next year.
Are prescriptions or such required?
Hmmm... don't know that my son would approve :roll: he'd be thinking that mum had lost the plot.

Hi Polar Bear. I understand your dilemma. I had been sheltering my son from what I was going through with this disease. I finally brought him up to speed without being overly dramatic and I found he was open to whatever would help me. He knows that I am not a stoner trying to score, just a person wanting relief without all the horrible side effects that traditional medicine offer.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you pinkynose - my son knows of my condition and that I am troubled by it, but will have no idea of the agonising sensations. Though he has read RLS/WED links etc.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

oh dear, I've lost my post somewhere !!
briefly....
I'd be looking for a Recreational Shop and obviously couldn't take it home with me !!
Rustsmith - 10mg chocolate 80/20.... :thumbup:
Betty

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Polar Bear, I do not know the specifics of the laws in Washington, but most of the states are treating recreational marijuana the same way that they do alcohol. They tax it quite heavily. Also, like an alcohol package store, you can purchase it at a shop, but you cannot open it up and try out out until you leave. Similarly, you are not supposed to be seen consuming it in public. That is a plus for the edibles over smoking or vaping it. Who is going to notice that the chocolate, the gummy bear or that hard candy that you just pulled out of your purse is not exactly the same as what they could buy at the grocery store?
Steve