If you want to support medical marijuana in the US

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

If you want to support medical marijuana in the US

Post by ViewsAskew »

I came across this petition today to pass the CARERS act.

It's not specifically related to WED, but in my eyes, any study is better than none and will hopefully lead to a time when anyone who can be helped by it could have access in all US states, not just some. And, then maybe in all countries.

More about Gupta's comments about the topic and the CARERS act, click here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Re: If you want to support medical marijuana in the US

Post by jul2873 »

Here's my understanding of the situation: Marijuana remains a schedule one drug under federal law. This means it cannot be used for anything, even research, and this problem dries up research money. But it's a perfect catch-22 because it's a schedule one drug BECAUSE there is no credible research showing that it has medicinal value. While many states have legalized it, or in the process of doing so, I think a more conservative federal government could probably shut them all down. It's interesting that both cocaine and morphine are schedule two drugs, since their medical value is recognized.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had one of those dark humor moments a few months ago. I downloaded Illinois' application to obtain medical marijuana. It didn't recognize WED/RLS. It did allow me to ask for it to be covered IF I could provide research to show that marijuana helped. You can imagine my wry laughter. As you noted, there IS NO RESEARCH because it is illegal!!!!!!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aipulu

Post by Aipulu »

I went to a private talk last weekend on using cannibinoids for medicinal reasons. I later talked with the person giving the talk, who also makes medicinal products. He is working with someone with RLS with success and with 17 people with epilepsy with success. And he is talking cure, not just symptom management. His product is produced at very low temperature so that it is not very psychoactive. Is there anyone out there with experience with cannibinoid sprays or salves for RLS? I am considering buying some product and trying it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope you receive some responses.

Just wondering (and not trying to put you on the spot - you are not the person who said it) - how could this person say it's not symptom management, but a cure? He would have to stop the cannibinoids and have the disease not come back to be a cure. And, many of us have had remission periods only to have it come back. It would be really difficult for me to believe a cure was found. My guess is that it is complete symptoms control - which is great - but not a cure (that you'd have symptoms again if you stopped using the substance).

Managing Your RLS

Aipulu

Post by Aipulu »

I am also skeptical that this is a cure although part of me wants badly to believe this is possible so got a little too excited after first talking with him. His belief is that the medical marijuana is healing the brain, not just managing symptoms. He is a person of high integrity and very well educated on medical marijuana and cannabinoids and how to make safe products. So he truly believes what he says. He was in one of the twin towers that later collapsed on 9/11 and experienced PTSD, lung damage, etc. and spent 10 years getting his life back in order. CBD has helped him and he is on a mission to help others. Nevertheless he only has one person with whom he has worked on RLS and I don't think he very knowledgeable about RLS.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

This is a topic and potential treatment that I am very interested in. Like Views, I would be extremely surprised if this is a "cure" for RLS, but the number of reports of dramatic improvements in control certainly indicates that it may be an effective treatment for control.

One thing to keep in mind is the legal issues around CBD oils. The suppliers all state that it is legal for them to ship to all 50 states in the US. That says that they can ship it, it does not mean that possession of CBD oil is legal in all 50 states. Quite a few have passed laws that allow the use of CBD oil. Unfortunately, my state (Texas) is not one of them and the marijuana laws were written in such a way that they currently cover CBD oil. That means that possession of the oil is considered to be possession of marijuana. There is currently a bill before the state legislature that would change this, but it has not been given much chance of passing this year.

So do your own research about what the situation is in your state before you place an order.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

I just signed the petition, but I think I'll need to move to another state as my state is governed by some of the least progressive people in the US :(
In the meantime, if by chance I was to go by another route does anyone know the type of strain that works best on RLS? I'm sure not all types are created equal for medicinal purposes.......

KonaKathie

Post by KonaKathie »

It DEFINITELY needs to be studied. I have gotten considerable relief from it, especially concentrating on the strains that are high in CBD, which doesn't produce a "high". We need to follow the science, not emotion and "that's the way we've always done it."