Ferritin Nearing 100

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
figflower

Re: Ferritin Nearing 100

Post by figflower »

Steve, glad you are well other than RLS and allergies. As you know, rls is somewhat more common among women. And even more common during pregnancy and menopause. So RLS seems like it can be triggered or made worse with hormonal changes. And it would seem that testosterone might confer some benefit. Have you had your levels checked? Unlike women, Mother Nature has seen fit to allow men to maintain their levels of their feel good hormone. Muchas suerte!

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Yes, my GP does a good job of making certain that everything is in line. For me, RLS/WED is genetic and I inherited it from my father. I also inherited migraine headaches from him and that is another disorder that in primarily found in women. I don't think that they know yet about what causes the gender deviation from 50-50. Yes, it could be the hormonal side of it or it could be associated somehow with the more complex immune system that women have so that their bodies do not automatically reject babies. If you look at the gender ratio for autoimmune diseases (such as multiple sclerosis and lupus), those are also more common in women.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

JayEarley

Post by JayEarley »

I just watched a foundation webinar on Augmentation in which the speaker said that they wanted people's ferritin level to be above 50. Mine is only 25 and my regular doctors thought that was OK. Now I will try taking the recommended dose of Ferrous Sulfate pills that have 65 mg. of elemental iron twice a day. When I get my iron over 50 I'll see whether it helps with my RLS or not

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good luck with it. It certainly helps some. Hope it helps you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.