Cucurmin - turmeric

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ratfancy

Cucurmin - turmeric

Post by ratfancy »

I see quite a few PubMed and NIH (.gov) research publications on cucurmin and dopamine. Any of you take cucurmin supplements with any result?

Polar Bear

Re: Cucurmin - turmeric

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, about a year ago I tried cucurmin, at that time it was because I read how helpful it was for fibromyalgia symptoms. There didn't seem to be any benefit from it, but that was only my own experience.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I take them now. I have a family history of diabetes; while no issues with blood sugar now, I'd like to keep it that way. It also may help with depression, which I seem to battle regularly. No effect on RLS/WED for me, however.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ratfancy

Post by ratfancy »

Thank you for your input.

badnights

Post by badnights »

How much do you take, in what form? I add it to food almost every day :) but this may not approach the amounts in a supplement.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, you brought up an issue - without standardized measures, it's awfully hard to know if what you're taking is worth it, helping, or doing what you think it should! Also, curcumin isn't absorbed well - I take piperine with it. Not sure if it helps, but some studies have shown it does.

I've been taking 500 mg a day - two 250 mg capsules - of what is supposed to be a standardized extract curcuminoids. The study I read on diabetes had the participants take 9 capsules a day, IIRC. Can't remember how much the people took in the study on depression.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Hi Ratfancy. I have read about at least three people that get complete relief from their RLS by consuming one teaspoon of mustard in a glass of water before bed. Most mustards are made from ground mustard seeds. When something works for someone I always take it exactly as they describe (provided it's not something like arsenic). I would have tried it by now but I have a tendency to heartburn. One time when I get an attack of RLS I will definitely try it. I have tried cream of tartar which I have read people swear by. I found that if I take close to a full teaspoon in a glass of water it works. It did not seem to work when my stomach was full. Nor did it seem to work when I took a quarter of a teaspoon. A full teaspoon exceeds the recommended daily allowance for potassium and cream of tartar is pure potassium. 1/2 teaspoon is closer to the RDA.

I cannot urge you to try either of these things. I am not a doctor. But I do know that if you try them and they work you should discuss with your doctor.

ratfancy

Post by ratfancy »

Thanks all for your considered replies. I will continue taking 1000 mg. each day and see what happens.