Decongestants

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rosalieyb

Decongestants

Post by Rosalieyb »

I have been dealing with very bad post nasal drip for awhile. I thought it would go away at so time but it doesn't seem to be. My dr. told me to take Sudafate PE but that cause my RLS to be worse. Anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

Rustsmith

Re: Decongestants

Post by Rustsmith »

You might try something with guaifenesin if you are like me and cannot take a decongestant. Guaifenesin is an expectorant, but it helps loosen and thin the mucus so that it clears more easily.

You can also try a second generation antihistamine such as Zyrtec, Claritin or Allegra. These are not supposed to cross the blood brain barrier, so they are not supposed to worsen RLS. But everyone is different and some report problems.

Another choice would be to have your doctor give you a prescription for montelukast (Singulair). It was originally developed to treat asthma, but was then found to work wonderfully on allergies and does not have the neurological side effect issues found with the antihistamines and decongestants.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.