Move over Marijuana?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.

Rustsmith

Re: Move over Marijuana?

Post by Rustsmith »

Although I enjoy eating hot foods (chili's not temperature), I think that I will stick with running as my primary way to get endorphins. Although both are healthy, I can control the "dose" with running. There can just be too much variation between individual peppers when you are dealing with the hotter varieties.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My son grew a random pepper plant, it was a Scotch Bonnet.
He and my 4 year old grandson ate a piece ....... enough said.

Known as one of the hottest peppers in the world the Scotch Bonnet offers a smoky pepper flavor with floral and tropical fruit aromatics. Its Scoville heat range is 100,000 to 350,000 units.

The child ate iced lollies for an hour and coped well. His father actually wept.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

figflower

Post by figflower »

My tongue hurts just reading about it. You know of course that no one is coming to help us but us. Just saw that new movie The Martian. Loved it. The human spirit can move mountains literally. But not if you sit and wait for someone else to figure it out.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Polar are you still on simvastin. Some people swear that drug makes their RLS worse.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Bearing in mind that I had 24/7 leg and arm symptoms for about 20 years prior to any RLS/WED medication. Medication for RLS started about 11 years ago.
Am I still on Simvastatin.... hmmm..... I stopped it for a few weeks.
Simvastatin started perhaps 6 years ago. I can't say that I noticed one way or the other whether taking it v not taking it, made any difference.
Anyways - then a friend who had stopped taking her statin was told... are you mad!! are you just waiting for a stroke or a heart attack ??
And I started it again this week.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

there's quite a bit o controversy over statins, PB. The official line is that once you;ve started, you have to continue the rest of your life. Other doctors argue that this is wrong.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

figflower

Post by figflower »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3517300/

I do not understand a single word of this article except for the title, which really says it all. Cholesterol is necessary for dopamine transporter (abbreviated DAT) function. Maybe that nightly statin intake (not for PB) which lowers circulating cholesterol is enough to interfere with the body's transport of dopamine and trigger RLS, or worsen it. Polar, you're not a good test case. You're the poster child for RLS. Yours is so bad that it can't be made worse. People report a worsening of RLS within a day or two of beginning statins and relief within a day or two of stopping. I will ask my dad for one of his. I dare not ask for more than that. I will take it one night this week and report back. My little experiment is far from any type of proof of anything. But this subject is HUGE in terms of RLS. We dare not give people the impression that statins are ok in terms of RLS and we dare not tell them it's ok to just stop without their doctor's permission. By the way, I believe that niacin is the only OTC substance that doctors acknowledge will tend to lower cholesterol.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

If you try one statin for one night to see if it makes your RLS/WED symptoms worse - that doesn't take into account if statins would make your symptoms worse following a few days/build up.

Also the same for the different methods that might be given 'one go' to see if they help symptoms. That doesn't allow a change in dosage/build up/taking into account if it was a bad day or a worse day when sometimes nothing will work.

I think 'one/once of anything' is not really a test.
However, I do admire your energy and enthusiasm.
Betty