rls & lactic acid & yoga?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
oaklander

rls & lactic acid & yoga?

Post by oaklander »

Hi everyone. It's been years since I've joined a discussion on this site. I still have RLS. But after years of ups and downs, I've been forced to try just about everything. I've discovered a connection (for me, at least) betw lactic acid, eating sugar / processed grains / carbs, etc., and RLS symptoms. (Note: Reco reading: Grain Brain, by Dr David Perlmutter). As I adjust my diet (habits take a long time to break), I'm using a class 2 narcotic, yoga, and up/down hill walking for the symptoms. For now, yoga deep stretches, and up hill stretches, are really key. But as I cut down on sugar and processed grains, starches, carbs, and too much sugary fruit, I'm needing less of the narcotic, and feeling far fewer symptoms. Would love people's feedback on this. Thanks.

Rustsmith

Re: rls & lactic acid & yoga?

Post by Rustsmith »

Welcome back oaklander.
If you look through some of the older posts, you will find a number of discussions about diets and how they have helped. Most of them deal with issues that appear to compare well with what you are doing, i.e. avoiding gluten and lowering carbs. I have been on a reduced carb diet for quite a while now that is similar to the one that had recently been re-discovered for treating epilepsy. I cannot say that it has reduced my dependence on my medications, but it has helped control the migraines that I also get.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I too have been on a low-carb, low grain, gluten and casein free, sugar free, low sugary fruit diet, with at least 6 cups vegetables daily, and frequent fish (wild, cold-water) and organ meats. I was able to reduce my opioid medication by almost half - from 18-21 mg to 9-12 mg. It was a huge improvement.

My next improvement came when I dedicated 3 weeks to yoga. IT wasn't exactly stress free because I was training to be a teacher, but it was a different kind of stress, more manageable I guess. But I suspect the real benefit there was daily stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system (the one that promotes growht and healing vs. the one that primes us to run from tigers). My sleep improved dramatically during this time. But it didn't last- and there's a link to gut bugs there, I had taken a treatment to eliminate bad bacteria and yeast in my small intestine, but working in a remote camp and eating crap food for 3 weeks caused it all to come back (WED worsened, gut pains came back, sleep was again destroyed).

You're on the right track in my opinion; there's a lot to be learned about nutrition and our guts in general and how they affect us neurologically.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

figflower

Post by figflower »

You guys, a "huge" improvement is HUGE. I can practically hear those receptors blossoming. They need constant attention and treatment based on what you're telling me? Or RLS in general does. Look at it this way, not only are you relieving your RLS symptoms but it's a recipe for a life time of health and happiness (whatever that is). The drugs are there for you, always there, why not go out on a limb. Under-eat with nutrient dense food, do yoga, listen to binaural beats, take a little extra magnesium (magnesium bis-glycinate of course) in the morning or CDP Choline or Uridine 5 monophosphate...also in morning. Speaking of happiness, Uridine is supposed to be a natural antidepressant. Last, but not least, when you can't sleep, pop one iron bis-glycinate tablet, on an empty stomach, away from food and medicine. Don't be standing after 45 minutes. Badnights, are you still taking iron?

Namaste