Iron

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
robertgreen99

Iron

Post by robertgreen99 »

I wanted to try Iron Supplements to see what happens. The only thing i am worried about is that my iron is already high. Is to much iron dangerous?

Also has anyone got any recommendations on Iron Supplements? How long does it take to notice a difference?

Ferritin 189 ng/mL
Serum Iron and UIBC
Iron Binding Saturation 56.0 %
Serum Iron 29.0 umol/L
Unsaturated Iron Bg. Capacity 22.2 umol/l

What's your thoughts? :D

ViewsAskew

Re: Iron

Post by ViewsAskew »

Too much iron can be dangerous - can lead to hemachromatosis.

You don't mention your hemoglobin - that is also taken into account to see if you are anemic.

There isn't a lot out there to guide us - not a lot of studies. The doctors who use iron seem to be saying that oral iron does best when taken if your serum ferritin is low - 50 or below. Dr Buchfurhrer has said that it doesn't seem to help as much once you hit 50 to 75. Then, it seems, infusions seem to do better. The real issue is how to get the iron into your brain. Just because you get it into your body doesn't mean it will also get into your brain, unfortunately. For at least 20% of those who get an infusion, it doesn't help.

With an infusion, you should notice a difference in 2 to 8 weeks.

The docs at Johns Hopkins seem to be saying that each person has a different level they need to maintain and that you need to get the iron high enough to affect symptoms, then keep it above that level. What I'm not sure about it what happens when that level is over 250 to 300, which is the absolute high most reference ranges suggest it should be. At 189, your ferritin is in the normal range. Here is a quote from the Johns Hopkins website, "zed, double-blind study of the effects of giving a 1000 mg of iron in a pint of fluid through a vein in the arm (intravenously) versus no iron, found that nearly 50% of patients had moderate or greater improvement in their symptoms. A little over 20% of those in the study had a near complete resolution of their RLS symptoms with the iron infusion. All of the patients in this study had normal hemoglobins (i.e., not anemic) and had a range of serum ferritin that were mostly in the normal range." http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurolog ... .html#iron

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Or written to Dr Buchfuhrer at somno@verizon.net?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

robertgreen99

Post by robertgreen99 »

Any advice on what iron supplements to take?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

If you decide that oral iron supplementation would provide benefit, the normal recommendation is to take 325mg iron sulfate (which is 65mg of iron). This should be taken with a vitamin C pill or something like orange juice to guarantee an acidic environment in the stomach and they should be taken on an empty stomach for best adsorption. An empty stomach means at least an hour before or after any meal.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

robertgreen99

Post by robertgreen99 »

Great thanks. So i just can wash it down with orange juice?

Why does your stomach need to be acidic?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have never seen an official explanation for the need for acidity. My guess is that when the iron sulfate dissolves, if you have the citric or ascorbic acids from the vit C or orange juice, that you form an iron citrate or iron ascorbate complex that prevents the iron from being reacting with something else in the intestines and being lost. By keeping the dissolved as an iron citrate or ascorbate, it is available to be adsorbed by the body.

A word of warning about taking iron sulfate, if you have a sensitive stomach, the iron can cause it to be upset. This is what drives some people to take other forms of iron, all of which are going to be more expensive.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

robertgreen99

Post by robertgreen99 »

not to worried about the cost just looking for the best one. :D

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I take an acupuncture herb called the 4 substances that can also help with iron rich blood. However, you still need to take the regular iron/B/C combination at the intervals/dosage that works best for your body. Bloodbuilder is a great iron to take because it combines the B, C and folate.