Agmatine and Opioid Tolerance

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jul2873

Agmatine and Opioid Tolerance

Post by jul2873 »

In my wanderings over the web, I've been reading that Agmatine Sulfate reduces opioid tolerance as well as blocks some of its withdrawal symptoms. Here is one article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923207/

I did a search of these boards but was unable to see if anyone has used Agmatine. Since I am finding that I've been developing a greater tolerance to kratom, I decided to try it. I just started taking a little Agmatine today, that I bought from Amazon. If I see it reducing my tolerance, I'll post about that. Some posters on other boards say that it can take as long as three weeks to kick in.

But meanwhile, I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

crazy joe

Re: Agmatine and Opioid Tolerance

Post by crazy joe »

Hey Jul---sorry to hear you having tolerance. Im seeing a chinese medicine doctor that made sense to me about monotherapy. he made me chinese liquid drink that supports three areas of the brain, not just one. So his belief is that monotherapy hitting one area of the brain only will in time build up tolerance and this makes sense to me with all the posts on augmentation/tolerance. Dont know if this is correct or if it helps. I also think this problem is due to sleep deprivation that causes 2 genes go array...If the sleep can get better who knows...remmission?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting. Looking forward to your results.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I've been using Agmatine for a little over a month now. Because my RLS is such a moving target, it's hard to say for sure what helps and what doesn't. However, I am pretty sure the agmatine is helping. I am often sleeping longer, and needing less doses of kratom to get me through the night.

However, I'm finding some side effects from it. To start with, it does taste terrible. I put .5 tsp. into a little water and chug it down before a kratom dose. But that taste often lingers.

Secondly, I found I could not handle very much of it, as too much caused a lot of gas and some diarrhoea. A half a tsp. before my kratom doses seemed to work the best. I get very little in terms of side effects with these doses, and it still helps me lengthen time between doses at night. I don't usually do more than 2 or 3 agmatine doses in a 24 hour period.

The research I found on agmatine says it helps with opioid tolerance. I'm not sure that kratom is a pure opioid, but since I do find it helping, I'll probably stick with it, at least for the time being.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Can't argue with that!

They say that alternating opioids helps. It didn't help me, curiously, but I wonder if you could try an opioid for a short time - say 2-3 weeks - and see if it would reset your kratom dose?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

It's a good idea, Ann, but I don't think I want the hassle of trying to get an opioid script. And, actually, with the agmatine, I see only a very little increase in the amount of kratom that I need. So I've just decided to take what I need and stop worrying about it. I'm really just so grateful that the kratom works so well for me.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Works for me!

Managing Your RLS

riverrunner13

Post by riverrunner13 »

Kratom works for me quite well but does not last but about 3-3 1/2 hrs for me. I make up a dose of kratom for the middle of the night so I just get up take my juice and kratom and usually back to sleep in 15 to 20 min. I am going to try the agmatine and see if it helps with the kratom lasting longer. Sure can't hurt. :-) Thanks for posting this.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Update: I'm finding that if I take some extra acidophilus when I take the Agmatine, I have few to no side effects.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Do keep us informed on whether you have more issues with tolerance - or not. We need any data we can get!

Managing Your RLS