Cymbalta to treat RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bbmrdh

Cymbalta to treat RLS

Post by bbmrdh »

Has anyone had good results with cymbalta to treat RLS. I think it is approved for fibromyalgia. My neurologist gave me a Rx but I am cautious about trying because one of the side effects is RLS.

ViewsAskew

Re: Bringing Kratom on Flights

Post by ViewsAskew »

Cymbalta, duloxetine, is a SNRI. It increases serotonin and norepinephrine. Some people with PLMs and RLS/WED can take this class and similar classes (SSRIs) without issue. But, some cannot. None, that I know of, are ever helped by this class. The best you could hope for is no change.

BUT - if you have fibro, you may have to try it (or another similar) as these drugs are very beneficial for many with fibro. The good news is that only a small percentage of us are bothered by this class of drugs (depending on the drug, between 1 and 20%) but, since they can help so much with depression or fibro, they should not be avoided if they work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rcure

Re: Cymbalta to treat RLS

Post by Rcure »

I was first prescribed cymbalta by my rheumatologist when i was first miss diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It mildly help with my rls

I've found cymbalta to really help for my anxiety. Feeling less Anxious has helped with my restless legs. Now that I have been diagnosed with rls I know what I'm dealing with and have been able to cut out foods and add vitamins to my diet and modify my day which have helped, I've gone from 90 mg of cymbalta to 60gm without any symptoms, I'm hoping in a couple weeks I can go down further and hopefully be off it completely which is a wonderful thought as I've been on SSIR/SNRI for over 10 years. I don't think cymbalta is a great first line treatment for rls unless you suffer from anxiety. I hope my story helped

badnights

Post by badnights »

I don't think cymbalta is a great first line treatment for rls unless you suffer from anxiety.

You are correct in that Cymbalta is not a treatment for RLS/WED, but can treat anxiety and depression, fibromyalgia and other chronic pain syndromes. Improvement in any of these can have an indirect beneficial effect on co-existing RLS/WED. Cymbalta is not a treatment for RLS, and appears to have no effect or, in some cases, a worsening effect on WED/RLS when taken for co-existing disorders.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Lawfang

Post by Lawfang »

I am likely among the very small class of people whose RLS was relieved measurably by Cymbalta. I still experience difficulty getting to sleep (I find myself waking after about 1.5-2 hrs), but during the last 80 percent of the night I do get decent sleep. Prior to that time I generally didn't get to sleep until about 4 a.m. and only slept until about 6.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thank you for that. I didn't know.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.