New to Iron

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wantok

Re: New to Iron

Post by wantok »

So this would be 3 Slow Fe a day?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes.

Here is an article that explains that iron dosages are tricky! http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publicatio ... 06-12-6128
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm wondering if the type of iron is important for symptom reduction? I've never considered this before reading Badnights reporting that Ferrous Sulfate made a difference for her. I have only used Iron Bisglycinate (50 mg elemental iron) and while my ferritin level has risen from 33 to 74 in 10 weeks, my symptoms have not improved. Should I change my type of iron?
No, Views interpreted me correctly, I was not clear, I meant my ferritin rose faster / more with the sulfate, which means I was absorbing it better.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

My old GP said taking iron would interfere with my thyroid level because I take levothyroxine. My new GP said it would be okay as long as I took it at a different time. I started on December 15 and had a blood test at the end of January. My thyroid level (which had not changed for about four years) was elevated. So if you take thyroid medicine and start taking iron be sure to get a blood test.
The good news is that my serum ferritin is now over 150.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi - Out of interest, what was your serum ferritin before you started to take the iron.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Yankiwi - a recent Foundation webinar on iron presented by Dr Earley suggested that you will get the greatest benefit by taking iron (plus Vit. C) at bedtime. Of course, that would mean no bedtime snack or glass of milk. When I was taking levothyroxine, I usually tried to take it midway between breakfast and lunch. That should address the need to take both of them on an empty stomach and would also maximize the potential for adsorbing as much of the iron as possible.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

My previous serum ferritin level was 57. I’m pretty sure it was in the 30s years ago. I could try taking the levothyroxine mid morning and the iron at bedtime. I’m usually on the go in the morning but I don’t eat between breakfast and lunch or after dinner.
I didn’t reply earlier because I was on a cruise from Sydney to Hobart. It was fabulous.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well done on getting your ferritin up.

A cruise - so wonderful.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Yes, good on both fronts. I had been starting to have symptoms in my inner forearms (funny that corresponds to nmy primary area of calves/Achilles). My arms haven’t bothered me since starting the iron.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Yay! I'm glad your symptoms have improved. I'm always impressed by the effect that iron has on my symptoms. I doubt I'll try lowering it again in the foreseeable future, because every time I have, my symptoms have gotten worse.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Yes, good on both fronts. I had been starting to have symptoms in my inner forearms (funny that corresponds to nmy primary area of calves/Achilles). My arms haven’t bothered me since starting the iron.

Great news!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS