What to expect when "detoxifying"

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
notnowdad

What to expect when "detoxifying"

Post by notnowdad »

As many of you know, I have been posting for some time regarding my almost complete cessation of RLS symptoms as a result of following a low oxalate diet. I have just come across the website, lowoxalate.info, posted by Susan Costen Owens, Research Associate, Husson Science Research Institute in 2006. Apparently Ms. Owens also maintains a discussion group on Yahoo under Trying_Low_Oxalates/Info. A Google search indicated Ms. Owens is now associated with the Autism Research Institute in San Diego.

According to Ms. Owens, scientists have discovered that, when using low oxalate diets to treat such various afflictions as autism, asthma, cystic fibrosis, and thyroid problems, beginning a low oxalate diet can cause “dumping” as the body clears stores of oxalate in various organs. In cases such as asthma this can lead to a severe worsening of symptoms prior to achieving the expected improvements.

My hope has been that other sufferers of RLS would benefit from my experience with reducing ingestion of oxalic acid by following a low oxalate diet. Because my negative reactions to high oxalate “trigger foods” come on within 24 hours and then abate within 24 to 48 hours, I have assumed that others could achieve quick relief by instituting the dietary recommendations. Apparently relief may not be immediate, and symptoms may in fact get worse for a while.

My concern is that some may try a low oxalate diet and not have a rapid improvement, or have a worsening, and give up on the regimen. Additionally, Ms. Owens suggests that there could be some danger from a rapid dietary change. The introductory page of her Yahoo discussion board states, “Our group discusses how to help the body more gently detoxify from oxalate.” And then further down on the page, in all upper case, “PLEASE MAKE THESE DIET CHANGES SLOWLY ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE HAD HIGH OXALATE VALUES ON LAB TESTS OR HIGH DIETARY EXPOSURE.”

I don’t know about the possible dangers of “detoxifying”. I only know that I have achieved amazing relief. I find it interesting, now that I have discovered great personal benefit from reducing oxalate intake, that the above referenced page also states, “By reducing oxalate levels through diet (LOD) and other means, listmates have found improvements in chronic pain and inflammation, in digestive problems, and in various skin problems. Many listmates have found reducing oxalate helps conditions improve like autism, anxiety and depression, thyroid problems, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, vulvodynia, mitochondrial dysfunction, interstitial cystitis, lichen planus, developmental delays, growth, and even autoimmune diseases like celiac sprue. Listmates have described improved symptoms even in some clearly genetic diseases.” To this list I can add that at least one person has found relief from RLS by following a low oxalate diet.

I encourage you to do your research; keep an open mind; proceed with caution; and be persistent. As always, I wish you all the best.

yawny

Re: What to expect when "detoxifying"

Post by yawny »

Thank you for detailing your journey for all of us...I found these interesting articles on a doctor that discovered that a Low Oxalate Diet got rid of her Fibromyalgia and RLS symptoms. She recommends trying the diet for 3 weeks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... pains.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... pains.html

ViewsAskew

Re: What to expect when "detoxifying"

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am touched by your thoughtfulness - thank you!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.