Kratom Research

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jul2873

Kratom Research

Post by jul2873 »

In the kratom Facebook page I follow was this note. I'm pasting it word for word. I did read the study, but I don't have the scientific background to understand it thoroughly. What it seemed to say to me was the study showed there was good pain relief and antidepressant properties in kratom. From the Facebook page:

"You might be interested in this! There is a new study on kratom, basically the first REAL study on the plant and it's effects, with factual evidence. The conclusion of the study basically is what we all already know: Kratom works just as good, if not better, than opiate medication, WITHOUT the side effects and dangers.
If you debate someone on Kratom legalisation this could be the a FANTASTIC way to prove that Kratom is not harmful and has tons of benefits. You can't argue against hard, scientific facts!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niokhfk6dbz8m ... 0.pdf?dl=0

ViewsAskew

Re: Kratom Research

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for finding that!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Very interesting publication. I just wish that it had been published in a medical journal of some sort rather than the Journal of the American Chemical Society. Maybe some of the pharmacology researchers who work with developing new drugs will see it in a journal that is for chemists. I expect that because the authors were mostly university types, that they were looking for a journal with a higher rating rather than one that would provide broader exposure to the readers who need to see it.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Interesting article. It is oriented for chemists and includes a great deal of biochemistry. They do however show that a number of compounds in Kratom and related to Kratom compounds have effects that could be positive. They show that some of the major ones can be synthesized which is important information for future pharmaceutical research.
Blessings,
Holland

ethan

Post by ethan »

I tried the link and it said it was no longer there. Is there another way to access this document?

Thanks,

Ethan

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Ethan
PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you.
Blessings,
Holland