ferratin

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stjohnh

Re: ferratin

Post by stjohnh »

The non-sulfate iron pills are easier on the stomach, but cost more.
Blessings,
Holland

CarlaB

Post by CarlaB »

Thank you, stjohnh, appreciate the input.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

It's been 3 weeks since I started taking iron supplements and eating red meat again. No improvement yet, but I'm holding out hope! Just had my labs done at Dr appt but it might be too soon to see a difference.
Sleep is a basic need.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Usually takes several months of oral iron to make a difference.
Blessings,
Holland

CarlaB

Post by CarlaB »

OMG! It is a miracle! About 2-3 weeks after starting iron therapy, my RLS symptoms, including sleep issues, went from severe to mild. Is this typical or did I get lucky? Long term, will this be my new normal- or just a reprieve for a time? I went from averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night to 8. I feel somewhat normal for the first time in over a year.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let's hope it is not coincidence! Some people resort to eating with iron instead of taking on an empty stomach. There are other forms that are supposedly easier to take.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Re: ferritin

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Peanut, you may want to question your doctor about the cholesterol thing, or get a second opinion. Thoughts have changed a lot about that issue in recent years, though eating organ meat every day may cause other issues. It seems like getting too much copper can be a problem with organ meat, but not sure... This is someone I follow online who writes about food and health issues, and always checks the research before forming an opinion: https://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart ... the-enemy/

I had gastric bypass surgery over 10 years ago, and can't absorb iron to save my life. My ferritin was 8 the last they checked it, and my neurologist referred me to a hematologist now. I'm getting iron infusions over the next couple weeks, and hopefully it will beat back the out of control RLS a bit.
Susan

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I found out my ferritin is 28 last week. In 2012 it was 66. At that time Dr B said to wait and see. Well now he says "take iron pills). Weird thing is that my interest didn't have any concerns about my ferritin. It isn't technically out of the healthy range. Well I started taking the iron and I started getting stomach pain, Nasuea and bloating. So I stopped the iron. Not sure where to go from here. I definitely want my iron to go UP!
jy13131

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

jy13131 wrote:I found out my ferritin is 28 last week. In 2012 it was 66. At that time Dr B said to wait and see. Well now he says "take iron pills). Weird thing is that my internist didn't have any concerns about my ferritin. It isn't technically out of the healthy range. Well I started taking the iron and I started getting stomach pain, Nasuea and bloating. So I stopped the iron. Not sure where to go from here. I definitely want my iron to go UP!
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Does it help to take the tablets with food? I always have some gastro issues when I take the tablets - I just lived with them, but none were intolerable, thankfully.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Apparantely you are supposed to take iron on an empty stomach:(
I am probably going to have to take them despite the side effects. They are just uncomfortable and I want to feel better!
jy13131

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Iron is better absorbed on an empty stomach, but taken with food will still have an effect. People with stomach problems on regular iron tablets (ferrous sulfate) can takes Slow Fe (slow release iron) or ferrous gluconate. Both are easier on the stomach then ferrous sulfate.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

Just make sure if you switch that you're getting the same amount of elemental iron. Ask your pharmacist for help if it's confusing. Sometimes the gluconates have less iron per pill.

But like Holland said, a bit of food taken with the iron pill just means not as much gets absorbed - you're still getting some. Try finding out how small an amount of food it takes to keep you comfortable.

Also, be sure to take vitamin C (try 500 mg) with every iron pill. C is essential for absorption of iron.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thank you for all of the responses!
jy13131

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I was told taking blood builder would help with the absorption of the iron and I take another expensive iron that is loaded with other vitamins and herbs Floravital. Sometimes I take 45 mg or 1.5 pills of the chelatted iron 3x daily with orange juice or an orange which is equivalent to the other pills. Right now, I'm eating organ meat between 3-4 times a week alternating weeks and that has helped the sleep a LOT. That along with a strict diet no grain, sugar, excitotoxins etc. I do splurge and drink 1 cup of decaf coffee on the weekends. The other thing that helps is acupuncture herbs to build up the blood or iron level, but I have to rotate the herbs or the RLS adapts. I am convinced that MY RLS is due to the brain blood barrier theory. Are they working on a cure for this disorder? I'm also surprised that the acupuncture herbs work better than the drugs normally, but I do have my stash when I really need it. Currently, the RLS has not adapted with the diet and the organ meat and that has been going on for about 4 months now--miracle!!

Susan,
Thank you for the wonderful article! I need to realize that doctors are human and may not know what is best for everyone. I agree eating organ meat daily is not good and I could feel it in my body--too excessive. I read part of the article and will finish it tomorrow being that it's in the wee hours of the morning. Yes, RLS breakthrough, but just ate my organ meat and took my herbs so I should be good for the rest of the night :)

All,
Yes, if anyone knows what they are doing for those of us whose RLS is due to the blood brain barrier I would love to know. Something in my gut tells me there is a CURE out there and I feel like it's simple, perhaps that's just high hopes. Good night!