MM strain suggestions

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

MM strain suggestions

Post by ViewsAskew »

I found it difficult to go through the existing MM topic because it's 20 pages long and what I need is sporadic in there. I finally gave up.

If it's not too much to ask, would those of you who have had good results with various strains please write about them here? And, if you would, include the state where you get it (much appears to be localized) as well as how it helps you (stop movements, stay asleep, reduce pain, etc.). I would be extraordinarily grateful!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Re: MM strain suggestions

Post by stjohnh »

I live in California. I read the full 20 pages. I tried various strains of medical marijuana, smoked, vaporized, and edible. I did not find too much difference in my sleep Improvement with the various strains. They all seem to help, as long as it wasn't that special CBD only product. I now use only edibles and use the edible that provides the most THC per dollar.

I haven't found the common recommendation of using a high-cbd strain or an Indica only to be helpful at all. Those recommendations may be helpful for people with common Sleep Disorders, but serval other RLS insomniacs have found the same disconnect between common recommendations for sleep inducing medical marijuana strains and actual sleep improvements.

If you find a particular product that seems to help, I would stock up and keep the stock in the freezer, there seems to be considerable lot-to-lot variability in all medical marijuana products, regardless of the testing procedures required by California anyway.

I don't have pain and I found medical marijuana only slightly helpful for stopping leg jumping, however it is definitely helpful in improving sleep, as long as leg jumping has been controlled with other medications. I use low-dose mirapex, kratom, and Gabapentin every night to help with sleep and leg jumping. I take edible marijuana two hours before bedtime and a half dose several hours later.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks, Holland.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Ann, I'm very sensitive to medicines (I get the rare weird reactions a lot)...to be honest, I'm not certain how much of my RLS is "traditional" vs just hypersensitivity of my central nervous system. So, while this is my cannabis experience, your mileage may vary...

I've tried around 30 different strains: sativas, indicas, and hybrids; high THC, high CBD, and 1:1. I started with the strains most recommended for sleep by the employees at the medical dispensary but found that few did the job. I've done a lot of experimentation.

I only use cannabis for sleep, not during the daytime, so all of my recommendations are based on how much the strain either sedates me or minimizes my RLS and PLMS...with the good ones, I'm not even sure which effect I'm getting, I just get sleep!

I've also found that some strains that work for vaporizing don't always work as homemade edibles, and vice versa. Here are my most successful, and how they have worked for me. These are all high THC, but I first convert the THC to CBN, so I get the sedative effects without the psychoactive effects.

Strain- Good to Vape, Good to Eat
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Cactus- no, yes
Tahoe OG- yes, yes
Grape Ape- yes, yes
Ewok- yes, yes
Rollex OG- yes, no
Granddaddy Purple- yes, no
F*cking Incredible- n/a, yes
Optimus Prime- yes, yes