Folate supplements?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
67java89

Folate supplements?

Post by 67java89 »

I've read a few things lately that RLS may be caused by folate deficiency. Anyone had any success with folate supplements? I've been taking iron supplements for a few months and have managed to get my iron levels up, but no improvement in RLS symptoms. I'll continue to take the iron, but am interested in personal stories about folate.
Sleep is a basic need.

ViewsAskew

Re: Folate supplements?

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've not seen any research that this is common. BUT - we seem to find that if anyone is truly deficient in many substances (vitamin E, vitamin B complex, magnesium, etc), then increasing it will often help. Most of us are not deficient, however, so taking them often does not work. I can't recall hearing many people talk about folate here over the years. If you can get a folate test and it's low, definitely try it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.