Essential Oils

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Essential Oils

Post by debbluebird »

I'm going to start to experiment with essential oils. I'm not here to sell it. I'm sure it will take awhile experimenting to figure out what might help. My daughter gave it all to me. I figure it can't hurt.

Polar Bear

Re: Essential Oils

Post by Polar Bear »

Some years ago I tried a potion of oils reputed to have wonderful success in the relief of RLS symptoms.
Immediate Relief - was the phrase used. Sadly, the potion was of no benefit to me. A few months later I even re-ordered a further supply 'just in case'..... hoping that this time it would work.

I do hope this works for you and you are correct, it can't hurt.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Good luck Debbluebird and keep us posted.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Someone gave me an aromatherapy unit (vaporizer) and some oils. She cautioned me to only use pure essential oils, pure plant extract with nothing added - to be very careful not to get oils that have additives, which can cause headaches & who knows what else. Sounds like reasonable advice to me so I thought I'd share it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Mine are pure.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let us know what happens.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

You know, I think this is helping. When I started this I always had at least one or more jerks during the night. Then started the oils. Then I had a couple of nights with just one jerk. Then I had three nights of no jerks, no symptoms. That's good for me. Since then I went back to one jerk. Then last night was what I consider a bad night for me. Leg wouldn't stop. I was then up for a couple of hours. The second hour I was in bed, but was wide awake. But I'm also having other health issues right now, so I'm not sure how much it is affecting my RLS. Today around 5 pm ish, I started having leg jerks. I usually don't have this unless I've been in the car. I may be a little dehydrated. I feel like crap. I've been on a diuretic for a few days. Today was last day for it. Blood pressure is messed up, I've just removed 10 pounds of fluid. Before I got the pill, I took off another 10 pounds of fluid on my own. I'm on low salt diet. My heart rate and oxygen saturation is up and down. I'm putting oxygen on my bipap tonight. Oh, and also vomited this afternoon. I think a side effect from the pill. I'm sure I will feel better tomorrow.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Definitely a lot going on. When it's like that, not sure how we can begin to know what is what. I do hope it helps, Deb.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Feel much better today. I was able to sleep 8.5 hrs before my leg started last night. Believe it or not I feel better when I get 9 to 10 hrs. It's been that way my whole life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is good! I have always felt better with 9-10 hours, too. I have wondered, though, if that is simply because I'm have PLMS my whole life, I needed that to counter the disruption.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I don't know for sure, but I thought that with the disruptions of the RLS, plus the sleep apnea, even though I may be "asleep" for 9 or 10 hours, it probably is a lot less. I think that I've probably been affected for most of my life with both.

badnights

Post by badnights »

even though I may be "asleep" for 9 or 10 hours, it probably is a lot less.
I agree. We probably have micro-arousals way more than we think. I would give my eye teeth for 9 hours of solid sleep.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

And for 9 hours every night for the rest of my life, I would give my right arm. Maybe both arms.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights - me too!!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

debbluebird wrote:I don't know for sure, but I thought that with the disruptions of the RLS, plus the sleep apnea, even though I may be "asleep" for 9 or 10 hours, it probably is a lot less. I think that I've probably been affected for most of my life with both.

I spent several months investigating home monitoring of sleep. The refreshing sleep is deep sleep, of which in a healthy person is less than half of total sleep time. Seems to be much less in us with RLS.

BTW, I could not find any home sleep monitoring app or device that could tell me accurately how much deep sleep I was getting.
Blessings,
Holland