Potatoes for Restless legs

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Potatoes for Restless legs

Post by Polar Bear »

Cold spuds... Quite tasty.... Hmmm..... For my part it would take a quare touch of salt to help them along.

How are you eating them legs.... like an apple, or as in potato salad?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

yawny

Post by yawny »

So if RLS is everywhere, in every country, and there are DNA snippets that correlate, then I wonder if there are cultural diets that improve RLS symptoms so that fewer patients are seeking medical help. I know, we may never know, at least until some awesome scientist tells us how X country should have more RLS patients but something in their diet helped. Until then, I'll start with potatoes.

Polar Bear, do people in Ireland eat potatoes like apples? Are they cooked? I never thought of it before but it sounds delicious!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yawny.... sorry, oh dear, what impression am I giving on how we eat our potatoes, definitely not raw.

In order to eat a reasonable quantity of potatoes I wondered ... for example... what about cold cooked potatoes in a bowl in the fridge and just lifting one now and again, as you would an apple.
I should have been more clear in that it would be a cooked potato. :oops: ooops
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I love potato salad, and it's good cold. My mother-in-law made added a little bacon to it, and put the mayonnaise on while the potatoes were still warm. She also added a little mustard. It is really out of this world.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Oh, and potato soup is also good cold.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've seen studies that show it is present in measureable numbers but can't remember those numbers, in Turkey, India, Japan - k I should not be zopiclined when trying to think
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I just discovered this discussion on cold potatoes. I bought a bag the other day so I'll be giving it a try. Living in Idaho where we are famous for potatoes it just makes sense. But I must clarify that we are not the potato state but actually the Gem State. In the south they grow potatoes and here in the panhandle we mine silver/lead/zinc. My husband is a retired geologist and would want me to insert that bit of info. I'm interested in knowing how all of your potato feasting worked out in calming restless legs.