Vitamin D to reduce RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

Vitamin D to reduce RLS

Post by peanut1 »

Here is an article I read today and it seems like they know what they are talking about:

https://chriskresser.com/4-little-known ... -syndrome/

I take 1 vitamin D daily and thought I would try doubling it and see what happens. Will keep you posted. Also, not expecting much. Interesting article though. I know someone who has MS who was using vitamin D to control it. I know that's not RLS, but......

badnights

Re: Vitamin D to reduce RLS

Post by badnights »

How big is your D pill? I take 4 pills daily, and they're each 1000 IU. If I stop taking them, I can feel worse symptoms within about 3 weeks. If you increase your D, be patient, it might take a few weeks to have an effect. Maybe write down the date you started and check in with yourself 2 and 3 weeks later.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Thanks Beth! I didn't pay attention to the IUs. I will look and let everyone know what happens in a few weeks. I also notice that burdock root is helpful, albiet a temporary fix and when it starts to not work, I quit.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I find that when I have enough sunshine and do not cover some of my body with sunscreen, as when I was in California all fall, I need no supplementation. But, a few years ago, in Chicago, mine was down to single digits. Supplementation both removed the resulting depression and lessned the RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

What time of day do you tend to take the supplement? Does it matter?

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

For me, it doesn't matter when I take it, but others may have a different experience. I take at least 2000 IU a day and was thinking of increasing it to 4000 IU. Need to do some looking around to see if that's an okay dose.

Kathy

badnights

Post by badnights »

My doc says up to 4000 is fine.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

A study came out in the last year that higher levels (over the rec level) wasn't better....but I couldn't find it recently when I looked. NO idea if I copied it here. And I do not recall if it was a quality study, either.

Here are some links to recent articles.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 00191.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalz ... cf66112b7f

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vita ... 6121910893

Ah, science is great once we have enough proof of things. Until then? It is often a mess!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Madmom02

Post by Madmom02 »

I've been taking 4000 IUs Vit D3 for almost nine months - no effect on the RLS but I think the depression has improved and I have slightly more energy. Of course, I've also lost 40+ lbs and substantially improved my diet (more veg and fruit, more complex carbs, more fatty fish, almost no "processed" foods or simple carbs).

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I just realized that I'm only taking 2000 IU so I'm going to double the dose. Appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread.