fresh coconut

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

fresh coconut

Post by peanut1 »

I was talking to a friend about the Wahls diet that I tried 2 years ago to see if it would help with the RLS. The Wahls diet is from Terry Wahls who get her MS in complete remission with this diet. The diet didn't help me with the RLS, but I was amazed how it helped my eyesight--I didn't need glasses the whole time I was on it!
Anyway, I told her that I couldn't do the full fat coconut milk in the diet since it exacerbated the RLS symptoms with the excitoxins. She suggested doing regular coconut the whole coconut with the shell as coconut is excellent for digestion. I thought this might help a bit with the RLS i.e. digest the oral iron or CA better. Since I started the coconut, I've been sleeping better all week and have a lot more energy, and it suppresses appetite to boot! And I have not needed as much organ meat only 2 x per week vs. 3. I realize this is not going to be a cure for RLS and I know I might just be on a lucky upswing, but I thought I would throw it out there, particularly for those with digestive issues. FYI, to get the coconut out of the shell you need a big hammer to smash it. From there you can get a knife and gently prod the coconut out of the shell.

Here is an article outlining the benefits of coconut milk which is a combo of the coconut water found in the shell along with the coconut meat. It also has a high iron content which could be why I have not needed as much of the organ meat, along with other valuable nutritional assets.
https://draxe.com/coconut-milk-nutrition/

peanut1

Re: fresh coconut

Post by peanut1 »

Just to confirm that the coconut was more about getting another source of high iron (9.6 mg) vs. having any other type of impact on the RLS. HOWEVER, it's also a great source of energy which can come in handy when you are dog tired from no sleep! Today I made my first coconut milk and it was astoundingly delicious. I think the key here is to get as much high iron in our foods as possible. And for those who eat more when they are tired due to RLS, coconut helps suppress the appetite.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Are you still using the coconut, Peanut? Is it still helping? Does the homemade coconut milk taste better than shop bought variety? Thanks.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

It doesn't necessarily help the RLS, but what it does do is raise energy levels which can be a good substitute for caffiene, and it's a good source of non heme iron and it's generally good for you. It also is high fat, but not the kind that is bad for you. Right now, I'm doing some research on the fatty acids as I have an acquaintance who told me that animal fat is good for neurological issues. She has Crohns disease and is on a raw diet from Ajonus. I've tried some of Ajonus' raw food diet and I can tell you that the raw organic milk kicked in my RLS big time. So this is not a cure for the RLS, but I always keep trying things because you never know when something might help.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

I wish I could get access to fresh coconut milk where I live. I have tried the canned coconut milk and it has been helpful. But I have gotten to the point where I can no longer tolerate the taste. I have a strong aversion to it; even the better quality coconut milks are a big struggle to drink. The after taste is the main thing that really gets to me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

We make smoothies with it, adding berries. Very good.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Or you can cook oatmeal in it. That might disguise the taste. Just don't boil it, cook it slowly.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.