Kava?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
click4it

Kava?

Post by click4it »

Has anyone used this or know if its even helpful?

Polar Bear

Re: Kava?

Post by Polar Bear »

I have never used this and It is illegal here in the UK.
I'd imagine it produces calmness but would do research on how it may affect the organs or indeed interact with prescribed medication.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The only time that I tried it was at a kava ceremony when I visited a small island in Fiji. The only reaction that I can remember was a tingling in my mouth and that it tasted like dirty dishwater.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

I have a bottle of Kava Kava that I've used a few times for anxiety during sleep. It was awhile ago but I remember it was very helpful for anxiety but nothing else. At the same time I was using MMJ and often needed something when I woke up because I'd have waves of anxiety that made it impossible to go back to sleep. I usually rotated between that, Passion Flower or Valerian. Each has their own qualities. I find Valerian very helpful for aggressive PLMs that occur even after taking my usual MMJ, Gabapentin, magnesium, and progesterone.

badnights

Post by badnights »

There were discussions about kava on this board a few times over the years (type "kava" in the search box at top right to find a listing). I don't recall anyone saying it helped the WED/RLS symptoms, a couple said it did not.

Kava can increase the risk of liver disease, although that might be an issue only in susceptible people. The WebMD website recommends, on one page, not taking it for any longer than 3 months without a doctor's OK
WebMD wrote:Kava may have severe side effects and should not be used by everyone. Kava has caused liver failure in previously healthy people. You should not use kava for longer than 3 months without consulting your doctor.

but another page from the same site recommends strongly against it
WebMD wrote:]Kava is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth. Don't use it. Serious illness, including liver damage, has occurred even with short-term use of normal doses. The use of kava for as little as one to three months has resulted in the need for liver transplants, and even death.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

I had the same experience with Kava Kava as Yawny. It helped with anxiety. It takes something stronger then that to knock me out. I also have taken Valerian Root (made tea out of the root.) Besides tasting pretty awful it really did relax me but I did not sleep. Just basically laid there couch locked. Rescue Remedy by Bach Flowers also helped some with anxiety and mood but not sleep. Besides MMJ, I'm finding Progesterone cream to be helpful with sleep.

click4it

Post by click4it »

Well.shoot. I had no idea about the possible liver damage. I already ordered a bottle but now considering throwing away. How could it be sold so easily yet so damaging?? Yet they want to pull opiods off the market !!