Trying out Kratom

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

Trying out Kratom

Postby Eternityroad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Friends,
After reading the posts about Kratom and wishing to cut back on the Hydrocodone I went to a local and reputable smoke shop today and purchased a jar of the Red Vein powder. (I am aware I can buy it for less online, but I wanted to try it right away) I took some a half-hour ago, 2:00 pm. It had been over twelve hours since my last hydrocodone dose and I was beginning to get the squirms. I took 1 and 1/3 tsp. Kratom in orange-flavored fiber preparation. The taste of the leaves came through but did not bother me, though. I chewed lots of peyote back in the day and if you can get past that taste you can take anything! Anyway, right now, though I do not feel in the least euphoric, the squirmy legs are no longer a bother. So I am satisfied with the results thus far and will experiment. There remains the issue of distinguishing whether the squirms after 12 hours are RLS or my body jones-ing for Hydrocodone.

Thanx to those who posted about Kratom.

Ken

ViewsAskew

Re: Trying out Kratom

Postby ViewsAskew » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 pm

YAY!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Postby Eternityroad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Any hints on how I might experiment with this with an eye to cutting down/out the Lortab are much appreciated.

jul2873

Postby jul2873 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 am

I've used kratom for over four years now, to manage my RLS, but it's all I've used, so I don't know how you would use it to taper off of other medications. I would just caution you not to chase the euphoria. From what I've read and experienced myself, any euphoria is short-lived and just pushes you to take more kratom than you need for pain or RLS relief. It sounds like you took about three grams. That is probably how much you need since you're coming off of an opioid. Since the kratom tree doesn't make time-released leaves, you'll probably need to take a dose every two to four hours. I make up doses ahead of time (kratom dissolved in a little orange juice) and keep them in the refrigerator for when I need them. Good luck.

Eternityroad

Postby Eternityroad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 am

I've used kratom for over four years now, to manage my RLS, but it's all I've used, so I don't know how you would use it to taper off of other medications. I would just caution you not to chase the euphoria. From what I've read and experienced myself, any euphoria is short-lived and just pushes you to take more kratom than you need for pain or RLS relief. It sounds like you took about three grams. That is probably how much you need since you're coming off of an opioid. Since the kratom tree doesn't make time-released leaves, you'll probably need to take a dose every two to four hours. I make up doses ahead of time (kratom dissolved in a little orange juice) and keep them in the refrigerator for when I need them. Good luck.

You are correct. I took about three grams and no euphoria. That is OK. I went 8 hours without needing another dose or any lortab and 20 hours since I last took a lortab. In the eight years I had been on lortab I have never gone more than 12 hours without having to re-up. This makes me think that the squirmy legs in my case were more a result of withdrawal from the opioid than restless legs itself.

Thanks for your input.

click4it

Postby click4it » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks for posting this Ken.

Eternityroad

Postby Eternityroad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks for posting this Ken.

No prob. I have been posting here over the years and am grateful for the info and advice I have received.

badnights

Postby badnights » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:28 am

I am not sure you can distinguish between WED/RLS symptoms and withdrawal yet, nor on that basis. It could take longer than 70 hours for the hydrocodone withdarawal to be over (days to weeks is possible). Until then, you can't be sure if the kratom is treating withdrawal or treating WED/RLS.

But regardless, you have used a 3g dose to control symptoms for 8 hrs. If it's WED, and mild enough to be dealt with that way, that's good.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

Eternityroad

Postby Eternityroad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 am

I am not sure you can distinguish between WED/RLS symptoms and withdrawal yet, nor on that basis. It could take longer than 70 hours for the hydrocodone withdarawal to be over (days to weeks is possible). Until then, you can't be sure if the kratom is treating withdrawal or treating WED/RLS.

But regardless, you have used a 3g dose to control symptoms for 8 hrs. If it's WED, and mild enough to be dealt with that way, that's good.

Good to hear. Thanks.

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”