Cannibis Dosage and Timing

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pamhb

Cannibis Dosage and Timing

Post by pamhb »

I've just received approval for the use of medical marijuana. The dispensary has recommended that I use an oil product high in CBD. My questions to RLS users out there are:

1. What is the most effective ratio of CBD to THC? (I have seen the suggestion 85% CBD to THC, but I can also buy a product that is 100% CBD).
2. What works for you as a dosage for an oil product? (I have severe RLS.)
3. What works for you as timing for the dosage? Do you spread it throughout the day or do you load up in the evening and/or take it during the night?
4. What side effects can I expect?

Thanks everyone!

Rustsmith

Re: Cannibis Dosage and Timing

Post by Rustsmith »

A refrain that you will see frequently here is that we are all different. Something that helps one person may not be very beneficial for someone else. And this is particularly true when it comes to cannibis, other than that it generally provides some benefit to each of us who uses it.

In my case, I have severe RLS and neither THC nor CBD helps with the need to move part of the condition. However, I have found that THC is very beneficial as a sleep aid. This is important because none of the normal prescription sleep medications (like Ambien, Lunesta, Belsomra, etc) helps me at all. I use an edible form of THC a bit before bedtime rather than inhaled form, which is effective almost immediately. It takes a bit longer to kick in, but then it sticks around longer so that I only need one dose per night. As for CBD, I have found that it is very beneficial for the anxiety that my RLS sometimes causes. For this, I use a tincture of 100% CBD when needed and it resolves the anxiety almost immediately.

But with that said, we have other members of the board who vape various combinations, you will find a lengthy discussion of medical marijuana with procedures for converting marijuana buds into muffins and cookies, and discussions of how various THC/CBD combinations help different people.

So you will probably need to experiment to find out what works best for you. My personal suggestion would be to try both 100% THC and 100% CBD (at different times) to find out which helps with each part of your RLS and then to see if it is possible for you to combine them into a single product.

As for side effects, I don't remember hearing any comments about side effects from CBD. I tried a pill form of CBD about 18 months back that cause me some stomach upset, but I thing that had something to do with an impurity and not the CBD. As for THC, this is the intoxicating part of marijuana, so go slow until you find out your tolerance. Also, CBD helps to moderate the intoxicating effect of THC, so a mixture (maybe 25/75 CBD to THC) helps reduce the intoxication part of the THC.

I am also a bit unusual in that I experience a severe side effect where too much THC in my system can cause depression (which I am subject to anyway). Generally, THC improves your mood but too much and things get very bad VERY quickly. I was near suicidal until I figured out that it was the THC. The good thing was that one day after stopping, I was back to normal and now I just take an occasional break to avoid that side effect.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

Thanks for the info, Rustsmith. It sounds like you and I are a lot alike. I augmented into Hurricane 4 status, which we managed to bring down to Hurricane 3 after a washout. All I can take now are opioids, which only partially deal with my symptoms. I struggle with depression. I continue to investigate other alternatives, which include medical marijuana. The experiences of others, even though we are all different, are invaluable.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

My usage and expierence wiith MM is almost identical to Steve's, with the exception of the depression problem at higher doses. I've never used more than 20mg THC per day.

My experience with marijuana dispensaries is that the "use high CBD for sleep" recommendation is nearly universal. This may be true for other types of insomnia, however it doesn't seem to pertain to most people with RLS.

I also found that different strains of marijuana seem to have little differences in ability to help me sleep. The main thing that seems significant is how much THC is in the edible I consume. I take 15mg an hour before bed and 5 mg more approximately 4 hours later.
Blessings,
Holland

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

Phewph!!! I've just finished going through the entire medical marijuana discussion chain to see what is being said about what works and what doesn't. Here is a summary of the results:

-- Everyone who tried MM has had positive results, but often only after a great deal of experimentation. "Results" range from use as a sleep supplement but with no effect on RLS, to total replacement of other medications.
-- Most use a mixture of THC and CBD, ranging from a 1:1 ratio to 1:1.6 ratio of THC:CBD (one person uses 100% THC; one person uses 100% CBD). You can create your own ratios by using tinctures.
-- A couple of people only had success with CBN. You have to make your own CBN. Recipes for making your own CBN are found in a post by Yawny on page 22 and by pinkynose on page 26.
-- THC products can pack a heck of a wallop and can keep you awake or have other negative side effects. Go slow and easy when you start using THC. Consult with your provider for strains that work better for sleep. Natwest has also provided a list of varieties on page 9 of the thread.
-- Tinctures and edibles last longer, but also take longer to kick in. You need to start dosing with a tincture/edible 1-2 hours before your symptoms start; it will typically last 5-6 hours, so you may need to supplement in the night (keeping in mind that it will take a while to kick in). The first dose is generally larger than the second (for example, 15 mg 2 hours before bed, then 5 mg a couple of hours later). Natwest has a cookie recipe on page 22 of the thread.
--Vaping or smoking is immediate, but lasts a much short time. (Most users on the thread are vapers, not smokers). Some start their nights with 2-3 hits off a vape pen for immediate relief, followed by a tincture or edible for longer term relief.

Cheers!

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

pamhb, nicely done. That is a very nice summary of what many of us have been discussing.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Nice summary! Now I've bookmarked this topic because of it. thanks.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

yawny

Post by yawny »

pamhb, thank you for a great summary! Wow! BTW, did you get all your questions answered?

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

Pretty much, yawny. We shall see where this all leads me now. Even achieving a less disruptive, broken sleep would be a big bonus at this point in time. I look forward to being a 63 year old pothead!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've bookmarked this page also.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

yawny

Post by yawny »

pamhb wrote:...I look forward to being a 63 year old pothead!

LOL, welcome to the club. :D