Reversing Restless Leg Syndrome

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
Polar Bear

Re: Reversing Restless Leg Syndrome

Post by Polar Bear »

You have been very determined and are to be congratulated.

If you aren't scheduled for your spinal stimulator until mid June what happens until then. Have you or your doctor a plan going forward.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

buglegs

Post by buglegs »

Well I've managed to make it through day / night 5 with no medications, the RLS symptoms are slowly subsiding but it has been very unpleasant up to this point. Its 5:28 AM here and I've been up all night with no sleep, very tired but the main reason I haven't slept all night isn't from the usual real bad RLS symptoms, its been insomnia, anxiety (I have been dreading nights not know whats gonna happen when I try and go to sleep), obviously effects of DAWS. My RLS has probably improved by 50-60 percent over the past 5 days of being on this Drug Holiday, I'm sure the RLS won't go completely away but I can definitely tell a huge difference in the intensity levels. Its obvious to me that the Requip was causing most of my RLS symptoms over the past several years, especially at the higher doses I was continuously prescribed over the years. Day 12 of my drug holiday will be April 22nd and I have an appointment with my neurologist on that day at which time we will be coming up with a plan to treat whatever level of symptoms I have at that time. If my symptoms continue to diminish like they have over the past 5 days / nights I'm hoping a lower dose of lyrica by itself will control it, I'll face that hurdle when I reach it. I did get about 2-3 hours of sleep on night 4 but like I said, no sleep last night but it wasn't RLS symptoms, it was insomnia, anxiety and headache. I'll continue posting my journey as I move forward, hopefully I can get a nap sometime today. Take care..wishing everyone the best..
Michael

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

buglegs, you are doing so well. Such perserverance. Only 8 days until you meet with your neurologist...... (thumbs up).
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

buglegs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 am
Well I've managed to make it through day / night 5 with no medications, the RLS symptoms are slowly subsiding but it has been very unpleasant up to this point. Its 5:28 AM here and I've been up all night with no sleep, very tired but the main reason I haven't slept all night isn't from the usual real bad RLS symptoms, its been insomnia, anxiety (I have been dreading nights not know whats gonna happen when I try and go to sleep), obviously effects of DAWS. My RLS has probably improved by 50-60 percent over the past 5 days of being on this Drug Holiday, I'm sure the RLS won't go completely away but I can definitely tell a huge difference in the intensity levels. Its obvious to me that the Requip was causing most of my RLS symptoms over the past several years, especially at the higher doses I was continuously prescribed over the years. Day 12 of my drug holiday will be April 22nd and I have an appointment with my neurologist on that day at which time we will be coming up with a plan to treat whatever level of symptoms I have at that time. If my symptoms continue to diminish like they have over the past 5 days / nights I'm hoping a lower dose of lyrica by itself will control it, I'll face that hurdle when I reach it. I did get about 2-3 hours of sleep on night 4 but like I said, no sleep last night but it wasn't RLS symptoms, it was insomnia, anxiety and headache. I'll continue posting my journey as I move forward, hopefully I can get a nap sometime today. Take care..wishing everyone the best..
Great to hear!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

buglegs

Post by buglegs »

Good Morning everyone...well today marks day 11 without taking any dopamine agonist drugs, gabapentin, or lyrica..no medications what-so-ever, guess I've really had a drug holiday so far in this process, I haven't even taken as much as an aspirin. My RLS has become remarkably less intensive and primarily in my calve muscles now, very low intensity of painful / pulling / burning / stinging but only in the lower legs, like I've been doing some sort of extreme leg exercises. The symptoms are just bad enough to aggravate me making it hard to sleep but it is a welcomed improvement. Additionally, my left thigh/hip was going numb and burning like fire but this is gone since stopping the Requip/lyrica. I have a follow-up appointment with my neurologist on Monday 22 April 2024, don't really know if I want to introduce some other drug at this time or give my drug holiday a little extra time, after all I have taken Requip for over 20 years and the improvement in the past 11 days has been unbelievable. I'll discuss my current symptoms with the doctor and see what he recommends. I'm no doctor, I have no medical training but I will never again take another dopamine agonist medication because I know they cause more problems than they fix..I'll let everyone know how my appointment goes on Monday..
Michael

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It will be of great interest to hear the result of your appointment on Monday. Well done ll
Betty

buglegs

Post by buglegs »

Good Morning my friends..today marks the 14th day that I've been dopamine agonist FREE...and I feel like a new person!! I had my follow-up appointment with my neurologist yesterday at the VA Hospital in Charleston, S.C. everything went great...My doctor was amazed at how well I was doing at completion of my 12-day Drug Free Holiday, we decided to let this Holiday continue since I'm only getting better as my drug free days pass. Today will be a total of 14-days since I've not taken any kinds of medications..none what-so-ever.. everyday that passes I feel better and better, almost like stopping some sort of poisoning to my system. He said my dopaminergic system was all jacked-up thanks to the extended use and very high dosages of the Pramepexole / Ropinirole over the 20 plus years. I've decided that I'm not taking anymore mind altering medications in the foreseeable future because everyday that I've been drug free my RLS has decreased drastically. The biggest changes that I've made is watching my diet, more exercise and threw all the dopamine agonist drugs in the trash. My energy levels have increased enormously, food taste better, major depression that I've had for years is gradually going away and I just feel like living again, I absolutely feel 20 years younger, thank God..I went to bed last night at 10:00 and slept until 5:00 this morning..today is the best I've felt in many, many years. I'll continue posting my drug free journey and I only expect it to get better...I'm in no-way suggesting that anyone try and follow the steps that I've taken since being overdosed on dopamine agonist drugs because these drugs are dangerous, especially stopping them as quickly / rapidly as I have since December 28 2023...12-MG down to 0.0 as I sit here today, I'm blessed and lucky to have such encouraging support from others on here, thanks Polar Bear....my hopes and prayers are that everyone suffering from this terrible disease will find something that will ease their pains, just don't ever give-up..If there's anything I can do for anyone don't hesitate to ask..take care and have a great day..
Michael

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What a wonderful result. Your determination has paid off in bucketfuls.I wish you good times. ....... Thumbs up.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

buglegs wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 am
Good Morning my friends..today marks the 14th day that I've been dopamine agonist FREE...and I feel like a new person!! I had my follow-up appointment with my neurologist yesterday at the VA Hospital in Charleston, S.C. everything went great...My doctor was amazed at how well I was doing at completion of my 12-day Drug Free Holiday, we decided to let this Holiday continue since I'm only getting better as my drug free days pass. Today will be a total of 14-days since I've not taken any kinds of medications..none what-so-ever.. everyday that passes I feel better and better, almost like stopping some sort of poisoning to my system. He said my dopaminergic system was all jacked-up thanks to the extended use and very high dosages of the Pramepexole / Ropinirole over the 20 plus years. I've decided that I'm not taking anymore mind altering medications in the foreseeable future because everyday that I've been drug free my RLS has decreased drastically. The biggest changes that I've made is watching my diet, more exercise and threw all the dopamine agonist drugs in the trash. My energy levels have increased enormously, food taste better, major depression that I've had for years is gradually going away and I just feel like living again, I absolutely feel 20 years younger, thank God..I went to bed last night at 10:00 and slept until 5:00 this morning..today is the best I've felt in many, many years. I'll continue posting my drug free journey and I only expect it to get better...I'm in no-way suggesting that anyone try and follow the steps that I've taken since being overdosed on dopamine agonist drugs because these drugs are dangerous, especially stopping them as quickly / rapidly as I have since December 28 2023...12-MG down to 0.0 as I sit here today, I'm blessed and lucky to have such encouraging support from others on here, thanks Polar Bear....my hopes and prayers are that everyone suffering from this terrible disease will find something that will ease their pains, just don't ever give-up..If there's anything I can do for anyone don't hesitate to ask..take care and have a great day..
I joined this forum in 2004, in a similar situation. I've stayed for 20 years to pay it forward and because of stories such as this. Everyone we help makes me very, very happy. Congrats, buglegs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

buglegs

Post by buglegs »

Good Morning Everyone... Well its Day 16 that I've been dopamine agonist free, actually haven't taken any type of drugs in 16 days, nothing at all. I feel really great this morning. Last night around 7;30 - 8;00 I was having like a slight burning in both legs and kind of itchy feelings, I took a hot bath and rubbed some Hempvana "Cold as Ice" lotion/Gel on my legs, especially just below my knee caps, thats where the burning sensation in my legs seems to be originating from into the muscles below. Well I waited until around 9:30 and decided I'd go to bed. I feel asleep right away awaking couple times to go pee but went right back to sleep getting up around 4:30 this morning, feeling rested, not tired and I actually had several dreams which in the past years hasn't happened. The only withdrawals that I'm having now is very low anxiety, cold one minute hot the next and some burning feelings in my legs but I expect that to slowly subside, gonna take some time to get past 20 plus years of poisoning my system with dopamine agonist drugs, I'll keep everyone posted as I continue down this path, so far its nothing short of a miracle. Hope everyone has a great day!!
Michael