Accessing resources

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
homer001

Accessing resources

Post by homer001 »

I am based in Australia and sad to say we are way behind the States in terms of understanding and dreating DA augmentation and i am being offered no real support in dealing with the withdrawal . Does anyone know how I might be able to locate neurologists down here who have links to the foundation?

Yankiwi

Re: Accessing resources

Post by Yankiwi »

I live in New Zealand, there's no support here either. Your best bet might be to educate yourself through this discussion board and hope your GP is open to listening.

homer001

Post by homer001 »

Really sucks doesn't it

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry. Even in the US, if you are not close to one of the Quality Care Centers, it's often horrible. BUT - at least we can drive or fly to one of them if we have the financial resources! For a few years, I flew 2000 miles to see one of those docs. Eventually, I just moved so I didn't have to fly back and forth all the time.

Before that, I bought 'The Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome" by Hening, Lee, Buchfuhrer and ? (am tired and meds are working - cannot think). Get the second edition.

I read that and bookmarked it and made notes. I'd go to my doctor with a highlighted passage and show it to them, hoping they would understand and agree. They usually did. It educated me and the doc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

homer001

Post by homer001 »

Thanks Ann thats most helpful

badnights

Post by badnights »

I agree with Ann. If a doctor responds well to being shown that book, then that doctor might be one who can help you. You could also or alternatively print the RLS Foundation's Medical Bulletin for healthcare providers (see my signature link for how to access it). Whether book or brochure, be sure to have the sections you feel are relevant to you highlighted before you go, so that you can direct his/her attention to them, and even summarize them. S/he will be pressed for time and unable to do much more than skim what you highlight.

You might ask your GP if he/she can find a neurologist experienced in treating augmented RLS/WED. If that's not possible, I suppose you could try calling the offices of neurologists all over the country and asking their staff how many augmented RLS/WED patients have been treated there - be upfront about why you are asking.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.