Does Augmentation Wax & Wane?

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
MJDK

Does Augmentation Wax & Wane?

Post by MJDK »

I am taking .5 mg of ropinirole plus 5 mg of hydrocodone in the evening. And I usually take .125 mg of xanax before bed. If necessary in the middle of the night I might add 5 mg of ambien.
Two weeks ago I had something that I can only describe as a flare. I had RLS all day long, every day for 5-6 days. I felt like I had no control over my body whatsoever. I would jump, dance, jog in place, kick, move my arms. It was the worst flare up I've ever had. A few days I took .25 mg of ropinirole and 5 mg of hydrocodone during the day (which I never do). I also tried adding Advil. After a week of this horrible ordeal, the symptoms seem to have gone back to normal and seem to be pretty well controlled by my normal evening regimen.
During this hellish week I make an appointment with Dr. Trotti at Emory --- which is at the end of October. I just wonder if anyone else experiences periods of severe active RLS alternating with manageable remission? Can this type of suffering be indicative of augumentation?
Thank you.

Polar Bear

Re: Does Augmentation Wax & Wane?

Post by Polar Bear »

Since taking medication I have never had rls symptoms last all day every day without a little remission. I do have it 24/7 in that it can happen at any time but it is pretty much controlled.

Your description makes me wonder if you have been taking anything that could act as a trigger. Any antihistamine, benylin for a cough, any over the counter medication. Perhaps a dietary change where you've had more sugar than usual. Perhaps starting a new medication or a change in dosage of an ongoing medication such as an antidepressant.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

MJDK

Post by MJDK »

Hi Betty, Thank you for your response. I actually thought the same thing - SOMETHING must have triggered it. The only 'new' thing in my diet was pistachio Talenti gelato. I ate it twice, two days in a row which coincided with the increase in my symptoms. It happened so quickly after eating the gelato that I threw the rest of it away because it was the only change I could associate with the flare. Maybe there was something in it that took a while to get out of my body? Good to know that augmentation isn't something that comes and goes. I see there is a Webinar next Thursday on Augmentation. I will be watching it. Best to you.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Very many people find sugar to be an rls trigger and some will find it to be ice cream n particular.
If you actually thought yourself that the ice cream was the possible culprit you'd do well to avoid sugar and see if it helps.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation