Gabapentin isn't effective.

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
Brynmr

Gabapentin isn't effective.

Post by Brynmr »

My 3,000 mg of gabapentin daily isn't very effective of late. I don't know if this is augmentation or not. My GP put me on 5mg daily of oxycodone (30 to cover the month) at my request but it's not enough. My symptoms are starting earlier, around 2:30 in the afternoon instead of 5 or 6. 600 mg of gaby at that time but by 4:30 I'm suffering. If I take the oxy to relieve the pain (which works) I can't take one before bed. That means I'm suffering at 5 in the morning. I've been on gabapentin for about 5 years. Since my cancer operation in April it's all gone haywire. Btw, I'm taking 65mg of iron daily.

Polar Bear

Re: Gabapentin isn't effective.

Post by Polar Bear »

Neither of these drugs would be understood to cause augmentation.
Your dose of 3,000 gabapentin, I think, would be quite high. It's possible that pregabalin may work better as it is more consistent in how it is absorbed.
Have your discussed with your doctor the possibility of increasing your oxycodone.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Oh, ok. So Gabapentin doesn't augment. That's good to hear, I think.

I haven't spoken to my GP yet. I'll send a message tomorrow. This afternoon wasn't pleasant - I took 5mg oxy.

Is 300mg of pregabalin the same as 300mg of Gabapentin. The reason I ask is the cost of pregabalin - $14 for a 90 supply of 100mg caps. Even if I'm taking half the dose of pregabalin that's $225 to me. Out of the question unless insurance pays for most of it.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

No, the doseage of the two is not directly equivalent. The starter dose for pregabalin is 75mg and for gabapentin is 300mg.

I am not familiar with dosing for RLS, but for some conditions, the max daily dose of pregabalin in 300mg and for gabapentin it is 3600mg.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My RLS is treated with Cocodamol 30/500 x 2, it is prescribed four times daily but I can often get away with 3 times daily, skipping the mid day dose. This leaves me with the 4th dose to use in the middle of the night when I often awake with symptoms. It is possible for me to skip the mid day dose because I am generally active and mobile all day.
I take Pregabalin 300mg morning and 300mg evening i.e. daily dosage is 600mg which I understand is the daily max. However please note my Pregabalin was initially prescribed for neuropathy and it is a bonus that it also helps with the treatment of RLS.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Polar Bear wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:18 pm
Neither of these drugs would be understood to cause augmentation.
Your dose of 3,000 gabapentin, I think, would be quite high. It's possible that pregabalin may work better as it is more consistent in how it is absorbed.
Have your discussed with your doctor the possibility of increasing your oxycodone.
My doctor increased the monthly oxycodone to 30 tabs of 10mg up from 30 tabs of 5mg. That'll do it. For now, anyway.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I do hope this helps.
Betty

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Polar Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:51 am
I do hope this helps.
Thank you. It's working and I'm relieved.