Augmentation

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
Rustsmith

Augmentation

Post by Rustsmith »

The link below that was prepared by badnights will take you to a discussion of Augmentation that also includes link to many other Augmentation resources.

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tagalongbuddy

Re: Augmentation

Post by tagalongbuddy »

I had been on pramipexole for a few years, then ropinirole for five more years. (higher than maximum dose) I didn't think I would ever be able to get off these pills. I saw a new neurologist a few months ago who has experience with RLS patients. I am following the protocol exactly as he told me. He had me very slowly go off the ropinirole and slowly add on gabapentin. The final week of ropinirole was difficult but that was the worst of it. He told me to take one gabapentin (300 mg) in morning, 600 mg at 7pm (with dinner) then 45 minutes before bedtime take four gabapentin (1,200 mg)
I am now able to sleep MUCH better and what is amazing to me is: I am not having RLS symptoms!!!! My husband and I are both astounded! I will not discontinue the gabapentin until the neurologist says to do so. There is hope.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

tagalongbuddy - I was in the same position as yourself. Taking higher than the maximum dose of ropinirole, was augmented and needed to get off it.
I was also taking prescribed Codeine but the Codeine wasn't sufficient to fight the augmentation. My ropinirole dose was 5mg total daily.
I did it much the same as yourself but used Pregabalin. My Pregabalin equated pretty much to your dosage of Gabapentin. They are similar drugs. However, I also had the benefit of taking Codeine. I don't know how long you took to reduce your ropinirole but I took about ten months, did it really slowly and managed without much difficulty.

Yes, you can indeed come off ropinirole, many here have done it, albeit much quicker than I did.
Well done. I am very happy to hear that you are sleeping well. Your dosage of gabapentin is doing it's job,
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Belsheart

Post by Belsheart »

Finished my pramipexole taper at long last a couple of nights ago. Naturally, I’m getting almost no sleep. Would love encouraging words.

Belsheart

Post by Belsheart »

Just adding to my post. A couple of years ago I tried to get totally off pramipexole, and I did lower my dose to .0125. But stopped due to withdrawal. That bought me some time. Once I felt augmentation symptoms, I knew I had to finish it. I kept splitting that little pill until completely off. The worst withdrawal symptom is the involuntary leg jumps. Really can’t sit still at night. Hope my body bounces back soon. I take 600 mg of gabapentin. No opioids due to other heart and blood pressure issues. Definitely want to hear Stories of things getting better. Oh, getting iron checked this week